Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons

Dear Emory community,

We, the students of the Freedom at Emory initiative, are writing this letter to bring attention to the current situation that undocumented students face as residents of the United States and outline what Emory University can do to help alleviate these challenges. Today’s immigration and educational policies create enormous barriers for undocumented students to gain admission into college and obtain financial aid. This affects nearly 1.4 million potential college-bound immigrants, many of whom did not have the ability to consent to migrate to this country.

In Georgia, the Board of Regents’ Policy 4.1.6 bars undocumented students from applying to the top five public universities. This policy further prohibits their access to in-state tuition rates at all other public institutions of higher education, even if students meet state residency requirements. Considering these acts of discrimination implemented by the state of Georgia, we encourage Emory University to make the following changes as a step towards creating more equitable access to higher education.

Non-Discrimination: Documentation status should be included as one of the enumerated categories listed in Emory University’s Policy 1.3.1, the Equal Opportunities and Non-Discrimination Policy. Undocumented students will be afforded the same rights as any group that falls under the purview of Emory’s practice of affirmative action.

Accessibility: Financial aid policies should provide institutional, need-based aid and merit-based scholarships to undocumented students. Amending Policy 1.3.1 to include documentation status would prevent the discrimination of meritorious applicants who are limited by financial hardship.

Integrity: Emory University should put its mission into action by helping achieve social justice for a minority group that has increasingly faced greater oppression and limitation. As a private university not constrained by the discriminatory policies of the Board of Regents, Emory has the opportunity to take ethical leadership on this issue. Opening up pathways for undocumented students is concurrent with Emory’s mission of humane teaching, mentorship and serving humanity.

With a concerted effort by the Emory community, these policies can and should be instituted by fall 2015 so that the applicants of the class of 2020 can benefit from them. We hope that appropriate administration and admissions officials will meet with students involved in the Freedom at Emory initiative to discuss this issue by the end of fall 2014 semester.

We’ve formed this coalition to make Emory a national leader in making higher education more accessible to undocumented students. Now, we need your support. We will be delivering this letter to the administration in the middle of November. If your student organization wants to sign this letter, please contact the Freedom at Emory initiative at freedomatemory@gmail.com.

In solidarity,

Nowmee Shehab, Andy Kim, Lamija Grbic’, Hannah Finnie, Michael Burch, Julianna Joss, Cathy Tang, Alexius Marcano, Samantha Stevens, Laura Emiko Soltis