On Tuesday, April 19, Emory’s baseball team (27-9) hit the road to take on Oglethorpe University (Ga.) (19-20). Emory successfully avenged their loss at home last week against the Stormy Petrels with a 10-1 win on Oglethorpe’s home turf.

Junior pitcher Jackson Weeg got the start for the Eagles and threw seven great innings. Weeg allowed just five baserunners and a single unearned run while striking out 10. Sophomores Mack Wilkins and Danny Kerning each pitched a scoreless inning to help Emory close out the game on the mound.

Emory had several players stand out offensively, including sophomore first baseman Bubby Terp. Terp, filling in for injured senior first baseman Ben Vizvary, hit a two-run home run in the second inning to help the Eagles get ahead 3-0. Emory never looked back after taking that early lead. Junior third baseman Philip Maldari and senior right fielder Chris Slivka each notched multi-hit games, with three and two hits, respectively. Slivka also managed to swipe a pair of bases against the Stormy Petrels. Junior designated hitter Brian Hernandez only had one hit, but he also drew three walks.
The Eagles will play their final weekend of regular season baseball against Piedmont College (Ga.) (20-17). They will play at Piedmont Friday, April 22, and Sunday, April 24, in addition to a game at Emory Saturday, April 23. On Saturday, Emory will recognize their seven graduating seniors as they celebrate Senior Day and the last home game of the season.  

Special Projects Editor | Jacob Durst is a Goizueta Business School junior from Dallas, Texas double majoring in business and political science. He has been a big sports fan as long as he can remember, and his teams are the Houston Rockets, Texas Rangers and Dallas Cowboys. He also wants to throw out there that Sports is the best section.