The Emory Pediatric Urban Health Program plans to open three newschool-based health centers in Georgia, funded by a $500,000 grant recently awarded to the program by the Healthcare Georgia Foundation.

The school-based health centers will be implemented in elementary schools in the cities of Albany, Tunnel Hill and Atlanta.

These centers operate similarly to traditional physicians’ clinics, providing primary medical care to children in schools.

Veda Johnson, associate professor of pediatrics at Emory School of

Medicine and executive director of the Pediatric Urban Health Program, said that this model of healthcare is particularly efficient for underserved communities.

“[The system] eliminates all barriers to healthcare for children who don’t have a routine system of care,” Johnson said.

With the establishment of health centers in schools, underprivilegedcommunities have greater access to healthcare.

As a result, issues such as transportation to a physician’s office or a hospital and high medical costs are no longer as prevalent, according to Johnson.

Johnson said the model is effective not only in delivering qualityhealthcare, but also in decreasing the cost of health care. With much of the necessary care provided in schools, rates of hospitalization and emergency room utilization for these children are significantly decreased. Johnson also cited increases in school attendance as a result of these clinics.

The Emory Pediatric Urban Health Program works to eliminate health disparities throughout communities in Georgia. The program has already set up several school-based health centers in Georgia with plans for further expansion. One of the program’s initiatives includes developing interdisciplinary programs which link healthcare, education, and community services. The program also aims to create a family centered model for primary care services by increasing health literacy among parents and guardians.

Finally, it also trains future pediatricians to provide medical care addressing the social determinants of health.

Johnson said the new school-based health centers are expected to be in operation by February 2013. She expressed optimism at the potential of this particular healthcare model.

“These centers serve as safety nets for underserved children. It’s our goal not only to expand them but also to engage the medical community at large in this model of care,” said Johnson.

By Harmeet Kaur