The University’s transition to online learning has left lingering questions for some of Emory’s key resources, chief among them is the Office of Title IX. The transition has forced the office to operate remotely and prepare for full-scale remote hearings, according to Title IX Coordinator Yolanda Buckner.

All current cases will remain open and continue to be investigated remotely. Students can report incidents over email to the Office of Title IX or to any Emory employee, who are mandatory reporters under the University’s Sexual Misconduct Policy. The Office of Title IX received many reports over email even before the University transitioned to remote learning, Buckner said.

In a remote investigation, the office conducts an intake meeting over Zoom with the complainant. Zoom meetings with the Office of Title IX are completely confidential and not allowed to be recorded for any purpose.

After the intake meeting, complainants are asked if they would like to engage in the formal Title IX process, and if so, they are assigned a Title IX investigator. The investigator will interview both parties and witnesses over Zoom.

Currently, the office cannot accommodate Title IX hearings, which occur after a complaint has been filed and a formal investigation has been completed, but is preparing a process to carry out full-scale remote hearings within the next month.

“We are still working out some of the logistics, but we are about 80% to the point where we are ready to have full remote Zoom hearings,” Buckner said.

Buckner reiterated the complex nature of hearings in virtual settings.

“There’s a lot of balancing of equities on both sides in terms of making sure that both parties have a fair opportunity to present their side,” Buckner said. “Considering the fact that we have three board members, a number of witnesses, the complainant, the respondent and the parties’ advisors — that is a lot of moving pieces in a full remote setting.” 

Though most students are not currently on campus, the office is still receiving reports. According to Buckner, the Office of Title IX remains a resource even if matters occur off campus but impact the health and well-being of Emory community members. Buckner reiterated that the office’s ultimate purpose is to help students avoid educational interruptions.

Digital Operations & Podcast Editor | Gabriella Lewis (she/her, 23C) is from San Francisco, California, majoring in political science and women, gender and sexuality studies. She hosts the podcast Wheel Talk. Outside the Wheel, she is involved with residence life and voting rights at Emory. She also enjoys national parks, eating ramen and telling people she's from California.