Men’s Basketball Routs Keuka

With a pair of wins over New York colleges, the Emory men’s basketball team captured the trophy at the Nov. 17 Dick Leftwich Tip-Off Tournament at Roanoke College (Va.).  

The Eagles defeated the College of Staten Island (N.Y.) Dolphins 86-68 on Nov. 16. Sophomore forward Matt Davet led the way in the second half, during which he scored 14 of his 24 points, and finished the game with 8 of 16 shots. While Davet led the team in scoring, he also grabbed a career-high 15 rebounds and his first career double-double. Sophomore forward Lawrence Rowley added 16 points, followed by sophomore guard Romin Williams who scored 13 points. Senior guard Gebereal Baitey also chipped in 12 points.

The next day, the Eagles gave the Keuka Wolves their first defeat of the season in the championship game 109-73. Williams shot 11 for 23 from the field and scored a career-high 32 points. He also tied the school record for the most threes in a game with his eight three-pointers, joining Richard Sommers (04C) and Alex Gulotta (12B). Rowley registered a double-double with 21 points and a career-high 12 boards. Davet scored 14 points on an efficient nine shots. Sophomore guards Nick Stuck and Matthew Schner added in nine dimes and nine boards, respectively.  

The Eagles next play against Sewanee: The University of the South on Nov. 28 looking to rebound after a 94-74 loss to Randolph-Macon College (Va.) on Nov. 25. —Anirudh Pidugu

Cross Country Finishes Season With Disappointing Finishes

The Emory women’s and men’s cross country teams finished 20th and 31st, respectively, of 32 teams at the Nov. 17 NCAA Division III Championships.

On the women’s side, senior Kaylee Slade saved her best for her last race of the season, clocking a personal-best 6K time of 22:27 that ranked 88th out of 277 runners. Senior Kayla O’Shea also posted a personal best with a time of 22:33 that earned her 100th place on the leaderboard. Sophomore Carrie McIntyre finished at a season-best 22:52, garnering 145th place. Sophomore Susie Martin and senior Maeve Andrews finished within a second of each other at 23:11 and 23:12, respectively. Sophomore Abby Durfee (23:22) and freshman Zoe Friedman (24:03) also competed in the event.

Despite finishing in second-to-last place, the men’s team’s top four runners all recorded season bests in their 8K race, giving the Eagles momentum headed into next season. Junior Luis Torres finished 171st of 279 runners with a time of 25:58, as he led the Eagles for the third straight meet. Senior Bennett Shaw finished only a second behind Torres with a time of 25:59 that ranked 177th in the field. Junior Sam Branson followed with 26:00, earning him 179th place. Sophomore Matt Dillon (26:02), sophomore Jack Whetstone (26:16), junior Andrew Kliewer (26:21) and freshman Brett Lucas (26:26) also competed in the event. —Alex Moskowitz

Editor’s Note: Kliewer is a member of the Wheel’s Editorial Board. He was not involved in the composition of this article.

Women Sweep Guilford Classic

Emory women’s basketball secured two back-to-back statement victories on Nov. 17 and 18. The Eagles defeated  Virginia Wesleyan University 64-37 on Nov. 17 and Guilford College (N.C.) 67-45 on Nov. 18 at the Guilford College Daly 7 Classic in Greensboro, N.C.

Against Virginia Wesleyan, the Eagles jumped to a quick 14-1 lead in the first quarter and maintained it for the rest of the matchup. Emory led by as many as 35 points in the game, ending with a 27-point victory.

The Eagles’ strong defensive prowess gave them complete control of the game. The Guilford Marlins were held without a field goal until seven minutes and 55 seconds left the second quarter.

Offensively, senior center Ashley Oldshue led the Eagles with a game-high 13 points on four of six shooting in only 18 minutes of action. Sophomore center Blair Ripley scored nine points in 11 minutes off the bench while senior guard Azzairia Jackson-Sherrod led both teams with eight rebounds and also contributed eight points. Junior guard Allison Chernow led the team in assists with five while junior point guard Lindsey Tse dished out four.

The next day, the Eagles maintained control of the game throughout the 67-45 victory over Guilford. Oldshue again led in scoring with 22 points on 10 of 14 shooting, which earned her the MVP title in the event. Jackson-Sherrod also finished with a double-digit point total, scoring 13 along with seven rebounds and a game-high three blocks. Tse also had a notable performance on both ends of the floor with a season-high nine assists and six steals. —Craig Supcoff