Emory University named public health researcher M. Daniele Fallin as the new James W. Curran Dean of Public Health at the Rollins School of Public Health in a Dec. 22 email announcement to students, faculty and staff. She will assume the position on July 1, 2022.

Fallin will succeed current dean James W. Curran, whom the position is named after. Curran announced his departure from the University in April.

Fallin will be the first female dean of Rollins. With her appointment, six of the seven graduate schools at the University will be led by women. 

M. Daniele Fallin is named the new James W. Curran Dean of Public Health at the Rollins School of Public Health. Photo courtesy of Johns Hopkins University

An internationally renowned scholar, Fallin comes from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Md.) where she serves as chair of the Department of Mental Health and the Sylvia and Harold Halpert Professor and Bloomberg Centennial Professor. 

She also holds joint appointments in the Bloomberg School’s Departments of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine’s Departments of Medicine and Psychiatry. Additionally, she has served as the director of the Wendy Klag Center for Autism and Developmental Disabilities since its inception in 2013.

“Her collaborative approach to addressing national trends and issues in the public health world supports Emory’s vision focused on student flourishing, faculty eminence and research excellence,” the announcement reads. 

Fallin’s selection follows an international search co-chaired by Nell Hodgkin Woodruff School of Nursing Dean Linda McCauley and Yerkes National Primate Research Center Director R. Paul Johnson.

“We believe Dr. Fallin’s vision for the future will build upon the amazing success that Dr. Curran has achieved during his tenure to position Rollins as a global leader,” the announcement reads.

Editor-in-Chief | Matthew Chupack (he/him, 24C) is from Northbrook, Illinois, majoring in sociology & religion and minoring in community building & social change on a pre-law track. Outside of the Wheel, Chupack serves on the Emory College Honor Council, is vice president of Behind the Glass: Immigration Reflections, Treasurer of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society and an RA in Dobbs Hall. In his free time, he enjoys trying new restaurants around Atlanta, catching up on pop culture news and listening to country music.