Emory University will bring food trucks and “mobile vendors” to campus next year during lunchtime and extended dinner hours to accommodate students while Cox Hall’s food court undergoes renovations, Senior Director of Campus Dining Chad Sunstein wrote in an email to The Emory Wheel. The food court will be closed from May 14 to the “late summer” of 2025.

The food trucks will be located outside of Cox Hall, Sunstein wrote, adding that the trucks will serve “new cuisines” and “Cox Hall favorites.” The new mobile dining options will accept credit and debit cards, Eagle Dollars and Dooley Dollars.

In April, the Dobbs Common Table (DCT) will launch a “sustainable” takeout program  allowing students to take food for later use, Sunstein wrote. In the 2024 fall semester, Emory Dining will increase mobile order options on campus, including new self-service technology and enhanced “grab-and-go” options at the Eagle Emporium.

The University also plans to add seating in the DCT and the Emory Student Center to accommodate for the loss of Cox Hall’s food court.

Emory Dining designed next year’s plan to replace the daily amount of meals served at Cox Hall with new options. 

“The interim plan is designed with flexibility to meet the needs of our campus community,” Sunstein wrote. “We plan to increase food options during peak days and have also been scaling up services in our other campus locations to support the student body during renovations.”

Members of the Emory community eat in Cox Hall’s food court. (Derrick Tan/Staff Photographer)

Sunstein specified that Emory Dining will continue to accommodate students with vegetarian, vegan, Halal, Kosher and gluten free diets. 

The food court will reopen as the Cox Hall Market next summer. Sunstein wrote that the project will expand both indoor and outdoor seating choices and optimize lines for food, adding flexibility to the dining hall. 

After renovations, Cox Hall will have new vendors with “modernized” food stations as well as “returning favorites,” Sunstein wrote. 

Spencer Friedland (26C) is from Long Island, New York and is the Emory Wheel's Managing News Editor. He is a Philosophy, Politics and Law major and has a secondary major in Film. Spencer is also a part of the Franklin Fellows program at Emory.