Many students at Emory University fall into one of two categories: those who are new to a full capacity campus and those who need a refresher after a year and a half away. Autumn is routinely an exciting time for students to find new friends and discover beautiful spots on campus. And with this grand return of students, the options to explore have only increased. Emory offers many exciting opportunities to enjoy campus. A compilation of the best fall activities on Emory’s Atlanta campus will hopefully help you get the most out of this first semester back.

Illustration by Ally Hom//The Emory Wheel

Show love to student athletes

Before the weather starts to cool, join a student section at an Emory Athletics’ event. This fall, the men’s and women’s soccer teams, and  the volleyball team have home games conveniently at the Woodruff PE Center. Cheer on your fellow Eagles as they return to competition. 

The women’s team remains undefeated in six games, and the men’s team is coming off a massive win against Lynchburg University (Va.) thanks to the late-game heroics from senior Josh Berman. With 14.5 seconds left in regulation, his well-placed shot snuck past the goalkeeper, and Berman slid on his stomach toward the sideline, where a group of Eagles fans went wild.

Visit the Carlos Museum

The Carlos Museum sits on the historic and beautiful quadrangle, but it is too often overlooked by students. Inside its doors, you will find one of the largest ancient art collections in the United States, with pieces from ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, Africa, West Asia and the Americas. On Sept. 25, the Carlos Museum will also offer a new exhibition featuring the large-scale artwork of two leading Indigenous contemporary artists titled, “Each/Other: Marie Watt” and “Cannupa Hanska Luger.” 

To find out what’s going on at the Carlos each week, the museum boasts its own event calendar filled with opportunities to talk to artists or make your own art through interactive workshops. If the art opportunities were not convincing enough, students also have free access to the Carlos Museum.

Stroll in the Lullwater Nature Preserve

Lullwater Nature Preserve is the perfect place to escape. Hidden on the side of Clifton Road, the on-campus park offers scenic trails in an urban forest that pass by the Lullwater House mansion and the beautiful Candler Lake. If you continue along the trail, you will find a strange octagonal tower that served as a former powerhouse for the Candler property. In the fall, Lullwater is a kaleidoscope of orange, yellow and red that you certainly don’t want to miss.

Visit the Schwartz Center for Performing Arts

The Schwartz Center for Performing Arts is a beautiful campus treasure that not enough students have seen. The elegant and expansive Cherry Logan Emerson Concert Hall will host several world-class musicians throughout the 2021–2022 Candler Concert Series that students should consider attending. The Center also offers a busy calendar that features student performances, such as the Emory University Symphony Orchestra Family Weekend Concert, that are free for students. It’s the perfect activity when the weather gets too cold, and you may even see classmates on stage.

Get spirited during Homecoming Week

The return of campus life brings the return of one of the most exciting weeks of the year: Homecoming. From October 21–23, the Student Programming Council (SPC) will host activities for students that will include chances for free merchandise, access to premier food trucks and certainly good times. The festivities culminate on Saturday with the Homecoming Parade through campus in the afternoon and a concert at night. Keep an eye out on SPC’s social media for hints at who this year’s artists will be for the concert.

With all that said, this autumn will fly by. As Emory campus life goes back into full swing, this fall will be filled with activities against a beautiful backdrop. You deserve to enjoy campus at its finest and hopefully this list helps you achieve that.

Xavier Stevens (23C) is from St. Louis, Missouri, studying English and Creative Writing. Outside of the Wheel, he plays ultimate frisbee with Emory Juice and enjoys listening to Sturgill Simpson and Leon Bridges.