The University is working to provide housing arrangements for international students who are unable to return to their homes according to an email sent to international students.

“We fully understand that international students face significant challenges, including travel and immigration restrictions that may impede their travel home or subsequent return to the United States,” the email reads.

The email, sent on behalf of Interim Provost Jan Love, asks students to “strongly consider” remaining on campus.

International students are further instructed to refer to information provided in a March 12 email from International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) about the maintenance of visa statuses. 

This email states that, due to a recently announced U.S. Dept. of Homeland exception, international students may continue their education in the U.S. through remote learning. Previously, the policy restricted international students on a visa to no more than one online class. 

“The US Department of Homeland Security has announced a special exception so that international students can continue their full-time studies this semester via remote learning,” the ISSS email reads. “As a result, it is important that you do not drop your spring 2020 classes, but rather continue your current classes through Emory’s remote learning in order to maintain your immigration status.”

More details about visa requirements are available here.

ISSS declined to comment. 

Ninad Kulkarni (he/him) (22C) is from Hyderabad, India, majoring in economics and mathematics. You can catch him cheering for Bayern Munich and making poor attempts at playing sports.