The sixth-ranked volleyball team won the University Athletic Association (UAA) title on Saturday with a 3-1 victory over the number one-ranked Washington University (Mo.) Bears at the Woodruff P.E. Center. The Eagles improved to 31-5 on the season, defeating the Bears in a 25-15, 22-25, 25-16, 25-18 decision.

It was the ninth straight year Emory and Wash. U met in the UAA championship.

The Eagles came away with their third title in the last four seasons and fifth in team history.

“Winning the UAA championship on our home court was really rewarding,” Head Coach Jenny McDowell said. “I knew our players were totally focused all week at practice, and as always, they were working hard to get better every opportunity they had.”

Wash. U handed Emory one of their five regular season losses – a 3-2 decision on Oct. 14 – but the Eagles had the upper hand this time around.

Emory executed to perfection as they dominated Wash. U statistically. The team recorded 60 kills and registered a .208 hitting rate, while holding the Bears to .125.

Emory also recorded 77 digs to Wash. U’s 72, and 5.5 blocks to the Bears’ five.

Senior outside hitter Breanah Bourque credited the victory to the team’s newfound toughness.

“We need to keep working on our composure on the court when we’re losing,” Bourque said. “We have to let our bodies take over and win the mental game.”

The Eagles dominated the opening set, hitting .297 en route to an early advantage.

The Bears tied up the match at 1-1 before the Eagles pulled away. Emory never trailed in the third set, pulling away on a four-point run capped by a kill from freshman setter Sydney Miles.

The fourth set started close as well, but the Eagles reeled off a six-point surge fueled by two kills from sophomore outside hitter Cami Silverman that put the set – and match – out of reach.

McDowell came away impressed with the team’s execution.

“Our players carried out the game plan perfectly,” she said. “We knew there were some very specific things that we needed to do to be successful against such a good team, and thankfully we were able to do it.”

Bourque led the team with 17 kills and a .333 hitting mark.

It was her 27th match of the season in which she entered double figures in kills, moving her into tenth place in program season history with 460.

“We got back to serving aggressively and were the best team out there,” she said. “We won the serving part of the game.”

Freshman libero Taylor Erwin also made her way into the school record books: her 21 digs moved her into first all-time in Emory season history with 596.

Silverman notched her sixth game with at least 10 kills and digs in the Eagles’ last seven contests, while sophomore setter Hannah Everett recorded eight kills and five digs.

Bourque believes the win marks a turning point in the team’s season.

“In the past two weeks we have been working through some things, and this was a really big mental leap for the team,” she said. “We’re back to the place we need to be.”

The renewed focus certainly benefited the Eagles this past weekend. The team had little trouble winning the UAA crown, disposing of both Case Western Reserve University (Ohio) and Wash. U without being pushed to a fifth set.

For the Eagles’ seniors, Saturday’s match was the last on their home court.

The squad dominated at home this season, going 12-2.

“I was very happy for our seniors to close their UAA careers as conference champions on their home court,” McDowell said. “Alex, Alena, Taylor, and Breanah have meant so much to this program and they deserved this victory.”

With the win, the Eagles earned an automatic berth to the NCAA Tournament.

They enter riding a four-game winning streak and holding high expectations.

“After this weekend we know we can be the best team in the nation,” Bourque said. “It’s just a matter of putting together a six-game winning streak at the right time. I’m really confident going in.”

The team’s last national championship came in 2008. They finished fourth in 2003 and second in 2010.

Their first match will be against Salem College (N.C.) on Friday, Nov. 9 in Newport, Va.

By Ryan Smith