The Emory women’s basketball team soared to a 68-46 victory over the Sewanee: The University of the South (Tenn.) Tigers on Nov. 26 before losing to the No. 19 Oglethorpe University (Ga.) Stormy Petrels 76-72 on Dec. 3. The games pushed the Eagles’ record to 5-2.

The two teams went back and forth in the first two quarters and entered halftime tied at 26 points. However, the Eagles came out inspired in the second half, bursting out of the locker room with an 11-0 run that quickly turned into a 28-5 run. During the run, the Eagles held the Tigers scoreless for an almost five-minute period, trouncing the Tigers by a total of 22 points in the second half.

The Eagles’ lackluster first half was out of character for the team, according to junior guard Molly Weiss.

“I think we came together as a team and knew that the first half wasn’t what we were capable of,” Weiss said. “We just knew that we needed to come out aggressive and play much calmer and smarter. We knew that we were in much better physical shape than [Sewanee] and that they couldn’t keep up with us. So, we really focused on running hard and pushing the pace.”

The Eagles continued their efficient start to the season as they shot over 50 percent for the fourth time in six games this season. This mark is due in large part to the Eagles’ great ball movement and unselfish play, which resulted in 16 assists versus Sewanee. The Eagles also drained seven three-pointers and out-rebounded their opponents 39-22. 

Junior center Blair Ripley led the way for the Eagles with a career-high 19 points and 11 rebounds for her first double-double of the season. She also contributed three blocks, putting her at sixth place on Emory’s all-time list with 71 career rejections. Senior guard Allison Chernow also finished in double figures with a season-high 14 points, four rebounds, two assists and one block. 

The Eagles’ victory truly was a group effort, as the bench contributed 27 of the 68 points, led by Weiss and sophomore forward Tori Huggins with nine points each. Senior point guard Lindsey Tse led both teams in assists with a season-high six in just 22 minutes.

Weiss hailed her team’s continued improvement after the game. 

“[The team] has gotten a lot better,” Weiss said. “As long as we focus on ourselves and keep getting more disciplined we will be really successful when conference play starts.” 

The Eagles staged a valiant comeback effort against the Stormy Petrels on Dec. 3, but ultimately could not overcome a 17-point fourth quarter deficit and lost 76-72. Down two points with just 15 seconds left, senior forward Erin Lindahl was stripped of the ball near half-court, which allowed Oglethorpe to race down the court, make a layup and escape with a four point win. 

Huggins once again had an impressive game wherein she led the team in points and rebounds off of the bench with 21 and eight, respectively. 

The Eagles will return to action on Dec. 7 when they will host Huntingdon College (Ala.), with tip-off scheduled for 2 p.m.