University President James W. Wagner has named Allison Dykes the new vice president and secretary of the University, effective Jan. 13, the University announced Tuesday.

According to a Nov. 19 University press release, Dykes has worked at Emory for 16 years and held her current position as vice president of alumni relations for seven.

She said that she brings to the table 16 years of experience in development, alumni relations and volunteer leadership development.

She added that her current position involves coordinating more than 120,000 alumni through programming and engagement.

Her new position entails serving as a support system for the Board of Trustees, ensuring that it is effective in its collaboration with other areas of the University, she said.

Moreover, Dykes will continue to serve as a member of the Alumni Board, with which the Board of Trustees works closely, she said.

Dykes will also be responsible for overseeing University-wide events such as commencement and convocation, she said.

The current vice president and secretary of the University, Rosemary Magee (’82PhD), has served in the position since 2005 and has worked closely with Dykes for many years.

Magee is stepping down due to her appointment as the director of Emory’s Manuscripts, Archives and Rare Book Library (MARBL) in September 2012.

“[Magee] has been a mentor to me,” Dykes said. “I’m very humbled by the opportunity to succeed her.”

Dykes’ work in alumni relations has given her the necessary experience for the identification of and selection process for alumni board members, Dykes added.

“I’m excited about my partnership with them and all of Emory’s schools and units,” she said. She added that she hopes to “[support] consistent practices of governance throughout the University as we build that pipeline for future leaders.”

According to the press release, Dykes will also serve as part of the President’s Cabinet.

“Her 16 years of experience in leadership development and her success in development and alumni relations will serve the board well,” Wagner said in the press release.

During her tenure in the Emory Alumni Association (EAA), Dykes organized a strategic planning and programming process and volunteer leadership development for the EAA, according to the press release.

Dykes said she plans to bring these ideas to her new position.

“I have a keen interest in overall board leadership development,” she said. “I want to take the experience and the success that I’ve had in leadership development and apply some of those strategies in my new role as secretary.”

While her new role bears resemblance to her current position, Dykes said new jobs always present challenges and a learning curve.

“As I learn the ins and outs of the job, if I come across those challenges, I will embrace them and use the opportunity to do the best I can to serve Emory,” she said. “I’m up for the challenge.”

– By Rupsha Basu