Entering the 2022 National Football League (NFL) season, expectations were understandably low for the Atlanta Falcons. In 2021, the Falcons finished with seven wins and ten losses and left the season with a lot of unknowns for the future.

During the offseason, wide receiver (WR) Calvin Ridley received a year-long suspension from the league after violating the league’s gambling policy. Shortly after, linebacker (LB) Foye Oluokun, who led the NFL in tackles, departed the Falcons in favor of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Atlanta also lost tight end (TE) Hayden Hurst, who signed with the Cincinnati Bengals, and WR Russell Gage to the division rival Tampa Bay Buccaneers. 

After a failed pursuit of star quarterback (QB) Deshaun Watson in a potential trade from the Houston Texans, the team traded longtime franchise QB Matt Ryan to the Indianapolis Colts for a third round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. The team then signed 2014 Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota to be the team’s starting QB. Running back (RB) Cordarrelle Patterson, who broke out in 2021, was re-signed by the team as well.

Given all of these departures, some pundits predicted that the team would finish with the worst record in the league in 2022, setting themselves up for an early pick in the 2023 NFL Draft. However, the team finished the first half of the season with a surprising record of 4-4, including a heartbreaking loss at Mercedes-Benz Stadium to their archrival the New Orleans Saints after blowing a 16-point lead. Other notable games included strong wins against the Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns and San Francisco 49ers, along with a thrilling overtime win against the Carolina Panthers.

Atlanta had a very realistic chance at winning the NFC South and making the playoffs for the first time since 2017 due to the favorite Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ underwhelming first half performance. The Falcons could have hosted their first home playoff game since the team’s Super Bowl run in 2016. However, unfavorable breaks late in games and injuries to key players derailed what started off as a promising season.  

After a 4-4 start, the Falcons lost six of their nine final games, leading to a 7-10 finish. The team lost Pro Bowl TE Kyle Pitts to a knee injury in Week 11 against the Chicago Bears, veteran cornerback Casey Hayward in Week 6 against the 49ers, defensive tackle (DT) Ta’Quon Graham in Week 10 against the Panthers and left guard Elijah Wilkinson for several weeks with a knee injury.

The team also lost many one-possession games, which could have drastically altered the outlook of the season. In Weeks 1 and 15 against the Saints, the Falcons had opportunities to win late in the game but failed to capitalize. In Week 5 against the Buccaneers, a questionable roughing the passer penalty on All-Pro DT Grady Jarrett directly impacted the outcome of the game. In Week 9 against the Los Angeles Chargers and in Week 12 against the Washington Commanders, the Falcons failed to execute in several opportunities late in the game that could have changed the tides.  

The Falcons won their final game of the season against the Buccaneers, wrapping up their fifth consecutive losing season. Despite the losing season and failure to make the playoffs once again, there were plenty of bright spots for the team, especially with the young core of players acquired in recent years. Rookie WR Drake London, the team’s top 10 draft pick in 2022, finished third among rookies with 866 receiving yards. Fifth round pick, RB Tyler Allgeier, became the first rookie in team history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season. Rookie LB Arnold Ebiketie, the team’s second-round draft pick, finished with a pass rush win rate that was second among rookies.

The upcoming offseason is expected to be a busy one for the Falcons, in regards to movement within the coaching staff and acquiring players through free agency and the draft. Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees announced his retirement, so the team will have to find his replacement. 

“We’ll miss Dean,” head coach Arthur Smith said at the end of the season press conference. 

When asked about the search for his replacement, Smith said “we’ll take our time,” adding that there is a “wide net” of candidates.  

Additionally, the dead money formerly owed to players like Ryan and former superstar WR Julio Jones will be off the books, giving the Falcons approximately $80 million in salary cap space. 

The Falcons will once again pick eighth overall in the 2023 NFL Draft. General Manager Terry Fontenot, however, said that the team should focus on picking the best players available.   Defensive talent is expected to be a high priority for the team, since the Falcons’ defense has been in the bottom half of the league in the past five seasons. While the Falcons have not performed well lately,  the future is still bright for this young team, giving Atlanta fans plenty of reason to be excited for a potential playoff run in the near future.  

Samir Ajy (he/him) (24C) is from Atlanta, Georgia and is majoring in political science on a pre-law track. In his free time, Samir enjoys watching sports, playing ultimate frisbee and watching comedy-based movies.