Update (9/15/19 at 9:53 p.m.): The advisory was lifted on Sunday night, Sept. 15, for all of DeKalb County except for the city of Dunwoody, according to the DeKalb County Emergency Management Agency.

The DeKalb County Department of Watershed Management issued a boil water advisory for the entire county on Saturday after thunderstorms the previous night caused power outages at the Scott Candler Water Treatment Plant. 

Emory Communications informed the community of the advisory in a University-wide email, and University Housing emailed students to warn them about the advisory. Housing ensured that campus dining locations will modify their menus for safety and provide bottled water. 

The warning advises residents to boil water for one to three minutes prior to usage for drinking or cooking. Water is safe to bathe in as long as it is not swallowed. The warning will remain in effect until lifted by the Georgia Environmental Protection Division.

The advisory was issued after outages at the Scott Candler Water Treatment Plant, which occurred at about 10:40 p.m. on Sept. 13 and at 2:36 a.m. on Sept. 14, caused water pressure at the plant to drop below system requirements.

Ninad Kulkarni (he/him) (22C) is from Hyderabad, India, majoring in economics and mathematics. You can catch him cheering for Bayern Munich and making poor attempts at playing sports.