Dear Doolina,

HELP! I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!

Sincerely,

ROFL (Rolling on the Floor Languishing)

Dear ROFL,

Get Life Alert®!

Delightfully,

Doolina

Dear Doolina,

My roommate and I are struggling with picking a room temperature. She wants it warmer, but I NEED it cold at night. Suggestions?

Sincerely,

Sweatin’ It

Dear Sweatin’ It,

As someone who prefers to keep their room at a cool 68 degrees, you’ve got my sympathy. In the spirit of compromise, however, I think you and your roommate can strike a deal.  You should agree to keep it warmer during the day, when you can put up with the heat.

In exchange, your roommate should be willing to keep the room a few degrees colder at night.  You can always warm up by piling on more blankets, but you can’t make yourself colder.  If this still isn’t enough for you, I’d invest in a fan. Another idea is to position yourself near the window so you can take advantage of the cool breeze at night.

Delightfully,

Doolina

Dear Doolina,

Sometimes I don’t wear a shirt underneath my sweatshirt. Is this weird?

Sincerely,

Feelin’ the Breeze

Dear Feelin’ the Breeze,

Only if you take your sweatshirt off.

Delightfully,

Doolina

Dear Doolina,

I have this one class that I’m doing pretty badly in because I just don’t care about it. HOW DO I MAKE MYSELF CARE??? FOR THE SAKE OF MY GRADES??????

Sincerely,

Carefree

Dear Carefree,

First, from the number of question marks and the amount of capital letters you used, it seems like you have a lot of passion (perhaps even an excessive amount). You can channel that passion into this class.

Think about the reason you took this class. Was it to fulfill a GER or a requirement for your major?

If so, think about it as one step closer to reaching  your coveted Emory degree. Were you initially interested in the class, but it’s not living up to your expectations? Remember why you were first interested and see if you can connect those reasons to the class itself – maybe it will re-spark your passion for the subject.

Concretely, if you can write essays on a broad range of issues, try to pick one you think will pique your curiosity instead of the easiest thing you can think of.

Next semester, try and avoid this situation by asking older students for recommendations for classes and professors. Read the syllabus in advance and take a look at some of the readings. If you think you’ll be bored, find another class!

Delightfully,

Doolina