On Oct. 24 at 7:45 a.m., Emory Police Department (EPD) received a theft report via telephone. The complainant, an Emory student, said he was studying in the penthouse on the 18th floor of Clairmont Tower at 3 a.m. He said he left his wallet and backpack on the table he was working at and returned to his apartment on the 16th floor. He stated he fell asleep in his apartment and did not wake up until 7 a.m. When he returned to the study area, he noticed his wallet was missing from the desk and his backpack was open. He noted that a bottle of perfume and a pencil case were missing from his backpack. The student said he remembered there were three other students studying in the same room when he left to go to his apartment. He said he had seen them before and knew they have rooms assigned in Clairmont Tower. He noted that he would recognize these students if he saw them. The student did not believe the three students were involved in the theft but thought it was possible they may have seen something while he was away. The student said there had been no unauthorized credit card activity on any of his missing cards.

On Oct. 27 at 1:17 a.m., EPD received an anonymous report of rape from a Campus Security Authority. This disclosure was made to the Campus Security Authority on Oct. 26, and the report was made for statistical purposes.

On Oct. 28 at 2:10 p.m., EPD responded to the North Decatur Building in reference to a report of theft. The complainant, a former health care patient, said she was at Emory University Hospital for treatment at 1:30 a.m. on Oct. 27. She said she was lying in the hospital bed with a pink Sephora handbag on a chair next to her. She said she was in and out of sleep throughout most of the late evening and early morning. She discovered the bag was missing when she woke up at around 6 a.m. The patient said the bag contained several full bottles of prescription medication valued at $200. There are no known witnesses.

On Oct. 29 at 11:43 a.m., EPD met and talked to a complainant at the EPD headquarters in North Decatur Building in reference to a report of theft. The complainant said her cell phone and credit cards were stolen from her pocket at the Homecoming concert on McDonough Field on Oct. 25. She said that she noticed her cell phone was missing at approximately 10:55 p.m. on Oct. 25. The complainant was not able to give the specific time that she put her phone in her pocket, but she said it was either in her hand or in her pocket throughout the entire evening. She believed that her property was taken from her pocket.

On Oct. 29 at 11:59 a.m., EPD received a report of theft via telephone. The complainant said she visited a Facebook event page at approximately 4 p.m. on Oct. 24 for a musical artist scheduled to perform in Atlanta on Nov. 18. She said that she visited the page with the intention of locating resale tickets for the show and contacted a seller who was advertising that he had two tickets for sale. The complainant stated that they were initially in agreement for her to purchase two tickets to the event for $90 total. However, she stated that during her conversation with the seller, she began to suspect that she was being scammed out of her money. After sending the initial payment, the complainant stated she was manipulated into purchasing additional tickets when the seller claimed that this was the only way to proceed and fully complete the sale. She said that after not receiving any tickets, she asked for a refund of her money, approximately $240 in total, but the seller blocked her on Facebook and ceased all communication with her on Oct. 28 at approximately 4 p.m. The complainant also mentioned that there was another suspicious account that posted on the Facebook event page about reselling their tickets. This account used the same seller’s name but had a different profile picture.

Phyllis Guo (she/her) (22C) is from Taiyuan, China, majoring in quantitative sciences with a psychology concentration. Guo began writing for the Wheel as a news reporter. Outside of the Wheel, she serves as treasurer of Pawsitive Outreach and vice president of Emory Tzu Ching. In her free time, she enjoys reading, volunteering at the Guide Dog Foundation, drinking boba tea and exploring Atlanta.