On Feb. 3 at 2:35 p.m., Emory Police Department (EPD) responded to the new Oxford Dining Hall in the Oxford Student Center in reference to a report of a theft. The complainants, the Oxford College Events and Conferences manager and the Bon Appétit catering manager, said that after the grand opening of the Oxford Student Center, they transported three boxes of alcohol to the catering manager’s office located in the dining hall between 5 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. The catering manager said her office was locked when she left. She said she arrived at her office the next day at 6:15 a.m. While conducting inventory at approximately 2 p.m., she noticed two of the four bottles of Woodford Reserve bourbon, valued at $37.49 each, were missing. The Events and Conferences manager informed the EPD officer that the alcohol for the event was purchased by an alumni office official. This case has been assigned to an investigator.

On Feb. 5 at 6:34 a.m., EPD responded to Emory University Hospital Midtown in reference to a report of criminal trespass and disorderly conduct. Upon arrival, EPD observed a discharged patient whorefused to leave the ambulance bay area, blocking ambulances from utilizing the area for transport and repeatedly requesting to go to jail. When the EPD officer attempted to escort him away, the patient turned toward the officer and made an aggressive movement with his arm. The EPD officer secured the subject and handcuffed him to the rear of the police vehicle with a double lock. The subject was booked into the Atlanta City Detention Center for violation of the Atlanta city ordinance prohibiting disorderly conduct. 

On Feb. 5 at 2:14 p.m., EPD received a report of shoplifting via telephone. The complainants, Bon Appétit Resident Dine-in Director Dawyn Patterson and Bon Appétit Resident District Manager Steven Cooper, said that on Jan. 29 at 11:40 a.m., a student stole a granola bar and chewing gum, valued at $10, from the Eagle Emporium in the Emory Student Center. One of the complainants stated that he first contacted EmoryCard Services to identify the student before he contacted EPD. The complainant said that the student was wearing a navy blue Emory athletic shirt with blue jeans on the day he shoplifted from the store. The complainant stated that he had proof of the theft occurring on video. This case has been assigned to an investigator.

On Feb. 5 at 5:31 p.m., EPD responded to the EPD lobby in reference to a report of fraud. The complainant, an Emory student, said that on Jan. 27 at 8 a.m., his mobile phone lost service and the SIM card became inactive. The student stated he thought the issue would resolve itself, but by midday the phone was still inactive. The student said that he called his phone carrier and they informed him that someone identified themselves as him and switched his phone number to another carrier called h2o Wireless. The student then called h2o to retrieve his personal number, but he was told the AT&T account for that number had been closed. Later in the day, the student received an email from his bank about a money wire transfer of $3,900 and an additional transfer of $500 to an individual. The student stated that once he informed his bank that he did not authorize the transactions, they closed the account, started an investigation and plan to return the funds back to him. The student also stated that he received an email from PayPal stating that his account had suspicious activity and that they were suspending the account. This case has been assigned to an investigator.

On Feb. 6 at 6:15 p.m., EPD received a report of fraud via telephone. The complainant, an Emory student, said that she received a call at noon from someone stating he was calling from the U.S. Social Security Administration. The subject told the student that she had pending charges against her and would be arrested if she did not provide her Social Security number. The student stated that she provided the caller with the last four digits of her Social Security number, the city where she lives and the name of the bank that she currently uses. She stated that after giving the caller her information, the caller immediately hung up. She said that she felt skeptical after the phone call, so she searched online and found out that the incident was a scam to get her personal information. The student said that the phone number of the caller was 814-667-0649 and that she did not have the name of the person who called her. This case has been assigned to an investigator.

Phyllis Guo (she/her) (22C) is from Taiyuan, China, majoring in quantitative sciences with a psychology concentration. Guo began writing for the Wheel as a news reporter. Outside of the Wheel, she serves as treasurer of Pawsitive Outreach and vice president of Emory Tzu Ching. In her free time, she enjoys reading, volunteering at the Guide Dog Foundation, drinking boba tea and exploring Atlanta.