Emory University Hospital Midtown (EUHM) and Winship Cancer Institute at Emory University broke ground on a $469 million cancer treatment facility on Tuesday, according to a University press release.

The Winship at Midtown facility was funded in part from a $400 million donation from the Robert W. Woodruff Foundation in 2018, of which $200 million was specifically dedicated toward the development of a new cancer facility in Midtown.

The facility is intended to unify the treatment experience for patients by bringing doctors, staff and services together in one building. The tower was designed based on input from patients, faculty and staff of the facility.

Winship at Midtown will be the only National Cancer Institute-Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center in Georgia. This designation “recognizes centers around the country that meet rigorous standards for transdisciplinary, state-of-the-art research focused on developing new and better approaches to preventing, diagnosing and treating cancer,” according to the NCI’s website.

The 17-story facility will hold 64 inpatient beds, 26 observation beds, six operating rooms and a radiation facility. It will be located on what is currently the Linden Avenue parking lot at EUHM.

Winship at Midtown is on track to earn a silver certification in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) and to expend about 40 percent less energy than the average Atlanta hospital. The building will be inspected  for LEED certification upon completion.

The project is expected to be completed by Spring 2023, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Calen MacDonald (22C) is from Palmetto, Fl. and is double majoring in English and creative writing and neuroscience and behavioral biology. Outside of the Wheel, he is the recruitment chair for Emory Crew and a school captain for Emory Reads. If he had any free time, he would spend it looking for free food and reminding everyone how tall he is (he's 6'8").