Mark Spicer/Staff Chris D'Elia, star of an upcoming NBC show

Mark Spicer/Staff
Chris D’Elia, star of an upcoming NBC show “Undateable” and who has previously appeared on NBC’s “Whitney,” performed a stand-up routine at Glenn Memorial Auditorium as part of Dooley’s Week.

Students packed Glenn Memorial Auditorium Thursday night to hear comedian Chris D’Elia perform as part of Dooley’s Week.

An up-and-coming comedian and actor, D’Elia has appeared in various shows like Comedy Central’s “Workaholics,” has his own Comedy Central stand-up video, is currently producing a movie featuring actress Hilary Duff that is expected to come out in the next year and is the star of an upcoming NBC show “Undateable.”

By the time D’Elia began, only standing room was available. More than 750 students, staff and faculty had filled the main floor and balcony of Glenn, according to College junior and Co-Chair of Emory’s Student Programming Committee’s (SPC) Speaker Committee Michael Fires.

Before the show began, SPC threw official Dooley’s Week shirts down from the balcony onto a screaming crowd below.

Comedian and actor Michael Lenoci headlined for D’Elia. Sporting a green dinosaur tee and taking a picture of the crowd before he got on stage, Lenoci performed for 20 minutes before D’Elia came on.

The crowd cheered for Lenoci as he made jokes about puppies and ex-girlfriends. The applause heightened when, following comedian tradition, Lenoci pointed out the fact that the show takes place in a church.

According to College senior Jordan Siegel, the opener actually set the bar high, although D’Elia followed up with a great show in the end.

D’Elia began his set immediately poking fun at one of the audience members. The audience applauded for D’Elia’s impressions of girls and guys on first dates and cheered with D’Elia’s literal impressions of different sports teams.

According to Fires, he and his Co-Chair Adam Bates, a College junior, planned the event as part of the Speakers Committee.

Fires told the Wheel that he first heard of D’Elia from an Emory student who graduated last year and now works for the promotions company The Bowery Presents South.

According to Fires, he began watching D’Elia’s videos and following his work before deciding to book him, thinking D’Elia would be great for Emory and would do a good job.

Coincidentally, about a day after SPC booked D’Elia, his Comedy Central piece was released and then was picked up by NBC, according to Fires. After that, D’Elia seemed to boom, especially with his role as Topher on “Workaholics,” according to Fires.

Compared to last semester’s comedy show, which drew a crowd of around 400 people, this show was very successful, especially because the show was unexpected, according to Fires. The deal with D’Elia went through on the last day before the negotiations had to officially end, he said.

He added that the comedy show is perfect for Dooley’s Week as it appeals to a lot of factions at Emory and provides entertainment for the people that don’t necessarily want to be out late at a concert.

In an interview with the Wheel after the show, D’Elia said that he had a good time with all of the students.

D’Elia began working on comedy when he was 25 in Hollywood and worked his way up through comedy clubs and bars.

“I love my life,” D’Elia said, adding that while he likes to make people happy, ultimately he is always having a good time when he is on stage.

Lenoci agreed, adding that it is fulfilling to be able to create something from nothing, perform and be successful in the entertainment industry.

Lenoci said that his inspiration comes from sitting in the coffee shop Coffee Bean all day and watching people until something happens.

His advice to anyone who wishes to pursue the same career is to “get up” and never stop.

Although D’Elia and Lenoci are only touring the U.S. at the moment, they hope to expand to more venues and places, D’Elia said.

College junior Nate Parker said that overall, the show was very funny, and that his face hurt from all the laughter.

–By Naomi Maisel