Emory’s 2019 Clery Report, released in a University-wide email on Sept. 30, revealed increases in reported rape, dating violence and liquor law violation referrals on the Atlanta campus in 2018.

The University releases the report annually in compliance with the Clery Act, a federal regulation that requires all colleges and universities participating in federal financial aid programs to disclose information about campus security. 

The statistics were compiled by the Emory Police Department (EPD) and based on reports made directly to EPD, campus security officers, residence life staff members and other authorities.

Reported rapes on Emory’s main campus increased from six cases in 2016 and nine cases in 2017 to 12 in 2018. On the Oxford campus, reported rape increased from two in 2017 to three in 2018. 

“The numbers show our community is becoming more comfortable coming forward due to campus-wide initiatives that provide confidential advocacy-based counseling and prevention education and the training of advocates to help survivors of sexual assault,” Director of Media Relations Elaine Justice wrote in an Oct. 1 email to the Wheel. 

Justice referenced support resources in the Center for Student Success Programs and Services that are available for students who experience assault.

On the Atlanta campus, reported cases of dating violence, which consists of threatening or abusive acts that occur within unmarried couples, increased from four to seven. 

Reported incidents of stalking on main campus sharply decreased from 20 to 10, as did cases of domestic violence, which fell from 10 to five. Oxford remained steady with zero reports of either crime. Events categorized as “fondling” increased from eight to 10 on main campus and decreased from two to zero at Oxford. 

Disciplinary referrals for liquor law violations saw an increase on both campuses. On the Atlanta campus in 2018, 165 referrals were made compared to 142 referrals in 2017. At Oxford, referrals rose from 28 to 46. Liquor law violations include infractions of “state or local laws or ordinances prohibiting the manufacture, sale, purchase, transportation, possession or use of alcoholic beverages,” according to Clery crime definitions. Liquor law violations do not include driving under the influence. 

Drug law violation referrals decreased from 36 in 2017 to 19 in 2018 on main campus. Burglary, which increased minimally on Emory’s main campus between 2016 and 2017, fell in number with 30 cases reported last year compared to 38 in 2017. 

Emory did not provide an explanation for the fluctuations in drug and liquor law violation referral numbers, according to Justice.

“The numbers shift from year to year based on human behavior,” Justice wrote. “The university remains committed to providing a safe environment for our students, for all community members, to live, learn and grow.”

nicole.sadek@emory.edu
Nicole Sadek (20C) is from Charleston, S.C., majoring in English and creative writing and international studies. Sadek previously served as editor-in-chief, social media editor, copy chief, managing editor, editor-at-large and editor-in-chief.