Priyam Mazumdar/Staff

There was an electric feeling in the air as the crowd headed toward the Grand Chapiteau for Cirque du Soleil’s sold-out opening night of “VOLTA” on Oct. 10. The Big Top, located behind Atlanta’s Atlantic Station, could be seen from a mile away as could the hoard of people walking toward it. From the moment I walked in, the atmosphere felt magical and whimsical. The huge white tent contrasted with colorful lighting coming from all angles; orange, red, blue, green and purple synthesized and set the tone for a lively act. Performers dressed in the same colors walked around the lobby to take photos with the attendees. The excitement pulsating through the room made it evident that everyone was anticipating a performance of grandeur, and by the end of the night, we got nothing less.

As audience members filled their seats and waited for the show to begin, a character named Mr. Wow (who would later be revealed as an integral character) wandered through the audience, building energy and enthusiasm in the room. He took photos with children, danced with a few lucky people in the aisle seats and even brought a man from the audience on stage for some banter and a skit involving a professional hula hooper. These casual interactions added a vivacious touch to the experience and entertained audiences in an unlikely way.

Priyam Mazumdar/ Staff

Though the “VOLTA” experience begins as soon as you walk into the tent, the show is an otherworldly experience in itself. “VOLTA” is a stunningly choreographed story depicting a society of television viewers with illuminated cell phones glued to their hands. Performers peruse the stage and spill into the audience to take selfies with the audience members. The society watches a talent show called “Mr. Wow,” where the man of the same name chooses who is “WOW” and who is not. A BMX biker named Waz performs a stunning display of bike tricks and is unsurprisingly chosen as “WOW.” Unfortunately, the biker’s blue-feathered hair is revealed and signifies him as “different,” which gets him eliminated from the show. While Waz feels crushed, characters dressed in colorful costumes comfort him with their solidarity, revealing themselves as different, too. Their leader Ela leads a routine to cheer up Waz, a celebration of differences full of unicyclists and trapeze artists performing gravity-defying stunts.

The show continues by switching between scenes of Ela and her crew partaking in complex choreography, a young Waz being comforted by his mother, skits of Mr. Wow doing mundane things like laundry, and a trip to the beach, all performed in an extravagant and comedic manner. These acts are spliced with interludes, including the “Mirage” act, in which a character of the same name does a remarkable ballet routine while suspended in the air by her hair.

Cirque du Soleil is indeed a family-friendly circus. However, I was surprised to see that most of the audience was older, which is a testament to the childlike wonder of Cirque du Soleil. From the delightful opening to the grand curtain call, “VOLTA” is a breathtaking and ethereal experience with a message we can all relate to: we are all different, and instead of trying to change, we should celebrate our differences.