Chania1web

Chania2web

Chania, a city in western Crete, is nestled between mountains and the sparkling blue Cretan sea. It is known as the island’s most beautiful city.

I went to Chania this past January with my family after spending six days in Athens. It was a quick, 40-minute flight from Athens, and the weather was incredible. Although winter is considered to be “chilly” in Crete, it was in the 60s the whole time. The upside about coming to Chania in the winter was that the city was much quieter and easier to explore when we didn’t have to fight crowds of sweaty and sunburnt tourists.

The road from the airport to Chania was like any modern highway, but as soon as we entered the old city, I felt like we were going back in time. Many of the streets were simply inaccessible to cars, and the hotel staff had to come meet us in a parking lot with a cart for our luggage. After freshening up, we went to the Venetian port where we were greeted by the stunning blue Mediterranean Sea. Lined with cafés and restaurants, the Venetian port was an ideal place for us to stop for coffee and a sandwich before exploring the wonders of Chania.

Chania was a very walkable city, and all of the alleys and buildings told a story. Taking a tour of the city for one day with a private guide was relatively cheap and very helpful in understanding the fascinating history of this city. While walking through the old port of Chania, we saw architecture and elements that were left by Turkish, Venetian, Arab and Egyptian invaders, all of whom left their mark on this picturesque Mediterranean city.

During our third day in Chania, we decided to rent a car and explore the small towns along the Cretan sea. We drove through mountains, coastal towns and villages, and it was nice to get a taste of life outside of the city and see how the local Cretans live. I remember stopping at a small village next to a lake where we had lunch and were able to watch villagers perform a local dance.

The water surrounding Chania stays relatively warm and extremely clear all year around. I was able to go scuba diving one morning before going sight seeing. Although there wasn’t much marine life, the water was crystal clear and the visibility was amazing.

Chania is a true Mediterranean city.

It reflects a mixture between European and Middle Eastern cultures that makes this region of the world special. It’s a city of natural and architectural beauty, a rare combination to see today. Chania was a great place to begin my exploration of Crete, an island full of ancient history, mythology and breathtaking landscapes.

– By Sergio Dhillon 

Photos by Sergio Dhillon