Fareed means unique in Arabic. Growing up, my mom frequently remarked that I was the most unique of all her children. While my siblings immersed themselves in video games, I stood by her side in the kitchen, clumsily chopping tomatoes with a blade too dull to fear, surrounded by the rich aroma of Pakistani spices filling our home. This label of uniqueness, bestowed by my mom, was a prelude to the unorthodox path I would carve for myself, diverging from my siblings’ Midwestern college pursuits to explore unfamiliar terrains. Among these was Atlanta, a city known to me only through its ties to Coca-Cola and a vibrant music scene. An impulsive decision led me to tour Emory University, and, within minutes, the allure of its white stone buildings and red brick pathways captivated me. The promise of small class sizes, a diverse student body and a liberal arts education sealed my fate.

Accepted through Early Decision I, I was eager to immerse myself in the Emory experience, but the unforeseen challenge of COVID-19 marred my initiation. The pandemic rendered my first semester a remote endeavor, and my engagement with campus life was limited to frantic, last-minute applications to clubs and organizations. This led me to the Indian Cultural Association (ICA), which I mistakenly thought was a South Asian cultural organization. Here, my uniqueness took on a new dimension — I was a Pakistani amid a celebration of Indian culture. This unconventional fit initially seemed like a misstep, especially during the interview when I realized that ICA’s focus is on building community for Indian students. 

Courtesy of Muhammad Sami

Yet, to my surprise, the ICA officer board selected me to serve as a freshman representative. Over the years, I climbed my way up the ranks: I became the finance manager in my second year, the vice president of programming in my third year and, finally, the senior advisor in my fourth year. My tenure with ICA is a testament to the power of embracing diversity. I spearheaded the revival of our on-campus Holi event in March 2022 and orchestrated the return of the Diwali celebration at the Omni Atlanta Hotel at Centennial Park in November 2022, milestones that not only enriched the Emory community but also affirmed my unique place within it. Despite my initial doubts, the three years of accomplishments underscored the essence of my identity — distinct yet integrative, Pakistani yet profoundly connected to the broader South Asian tapestry.

However, my Emory story took a somber turn in my final year. The institution that I once believed celebrated the uniqueness of individuals, including my own as a Muslim student of color, proved that the value of individual causes is contingent upon their utility to the University’s image. My disillusionment was compounded by the administration’s and The Emory Wheel’s portrayal of student activism, which often felt dismissive of the diversity and fervor that the student population embodies. This realization, a stark departure from the inclusivity I once felt, has tainted my perception of Emory, leaving behind a sour and disappointed taste as I prepare to leave Druid Hills.

Despite this, I refuse to conclude my Emory saga on a note of despair. My journey has been profoundly transformative, marked by moments of joy, discovery and a deepened understanding of my identity. To current and prospective Emory students, I offer this piece of advice: cherish and champion your uniqueness. In an environment where administrative agendas may overshadow student voices, let us not be reduced to mere diversity statistics in a brochure. Our individuality is our strength. We can make a difference through solidarity and unwavering commitment to our causes. Celebrate who you are, and, together, let’s ensure that the true diversity and vibrancy of Emory’s student body are recognized and respected.

Fareed Khan (24B) is from Clarendon Hills, Ill., and majored in strategy and management consulting and economics. During his time at Emory University, he was the vice president of programming for the Indian Cultural Association, moderator for Wonderful Wednesday and Choreography and Mix Chair for Emory Karma Bhangra. After graduation, Khan will be an enterprise strategy analyst at Deloitte in New York City.