Dear Emory Community,

The Caucus of Emory Black Alumni (CEBA) works to foster and cultivate social, political, professional and intellectual relationships among black alumni, faculty, staff and students from all areas at Emory. As an organization and through the actions of our members, CEBA has always encouraged, promoted and supported the constant pursuit of equity, equality, inclusion and justice in our society.

Peaceful protests are a significant part of the legacy of black students and alumni at Emory, and those protests have contributed to Emory’s growth, maturation and well-being.

In the face of recent tragedies that remind us all of the progress that is still necessary in our society to overcome racism and the effects of systemic and institutional racism, we support the students, both undergraduate and graduate, and all of those members of the Emory community who are participating in peaceful protests in the form of die-ins and marches, as well as community forums on Emory’s campus and in the Atlanta community.

Your efforts and hard work have not been in vain or gone unnoticed. President James W. Wagner has pledged to work to identify policies the University’s administration can adopt which will address issues of bias and discrimination. We applaud all campus leaders who have mobilized students around campus and in their respective organizations while also engaging Emory professors, staff, administrators and alumni.

As Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. described, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” In the fight to dismantle racism and injustice, we are hopeful that this is another opportunity to educate others and progress the conversations that lead to meaningful actions.

We encourage all members of the Emory community to support current students on campus participating in the #BlackLivesMatter movement and its efforts to raise awareness about the many injustices that black people continue to face. We urge students to continue to mobilize and work together to bring these issues to the forefront of the entire Emory community.

CEBA is proud of the strong and positive student leadership exhibited during this time. We are also grateful for the administrators, professors, faculty and staff who support the students and their rights to protest, and those who serve as resources and mentors. We encourage others to do the same, as this is an important opportunity for learning beyond the classroom.

We encourage all students to reflect on the progress the #BlackLivesMatter movement has made and the conversations that have led to deeper understanding of the historical and institutional systems that have led us to this point. As always, please use the CEBA Facebook page as an avenue to connect with alumni and for support, updates and opportunities to get involved.

In the words of peaceful protestors on Emory’s campus and the #ItsBiggerThanYou campaign, “It is our duty to fight for our freedom. It is our duty to win. We must love each other. We must support each other. We have nothing to lose but our chains.”

Sincerely,

Jonathan Butler (96C) and Brandon Luten (10C)
Caucus of Emory Black Alumni — Atlanta Co-Chairs