A story of hope in the face of pain and oppression delivered through Oscar-worthy performances and masterful direction: no, this description does not refer to the critically acclaimed tour de force “12 Years a Slave,” but to “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.”

The second installment in the franchise surpasses the first in every way and will leave audiences on the edge of a cliff, begging for “Mockingjay Part One.”

“Catching Fire,” the film adaptation of the second novel in Suzanne Collins’ immensely popular trilogy, continues the story of a world in which a wealthy Capitol rules over 13 impoverished Districts. “Catching Fire” picks up right where “The Hunger Games” left off. Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) are the winners of last year’s Hunger Games, a brutal fight to the death between tributes from the 13 Districts.

Just as they begin to accept life as official victors, in which their personal lives are offered to the Districts as a distraction from their community’s miserable existence, they find themselves thrust back into the arena for the Quarter Quell. The Quarter Quell occurs every 25 years and this year, the 75th anniversary of the Hunger Games, only former victors will compete.

Seeds of revolution begin to grow among the oppressed, however, thanks to Katniss’ and Peeta’s act of defiance in last year’s Games, Katniss and Peeta compete, but all is not as it seems as a brewing rebellion comes to the fore.

This sequel to an already solid original entry ups the ante. Lawrence’s recent Academy Award for “The Silver Linings Playbook” seems to have motivated her. Her cries of anguish, both physical and emotional, are wrenching.

Her pain is as palpable to the audience as it is to the other characters, as both come to love and form solidarity around her. Lawrence is not the only one worth highlighting: Philip Seymour Hoffman (“Moneyball”) is as subtle as he is opportunistic in his role as Game Master.

It is his job to devise a Quarter Quell that will, as the name suggests, quell rebellious thoughts, as well as entertain in the most brutal way. He hammers home his lines with a detestable half-smirk and an air of ruthless arrogance.

Elizabeth Banks (“The 40-Year-Old Virgin”), whose character Effie Trinket is a groomer tasked with making the tributes presentable, also offers needed comedic relief and continues to be a showcase for the excessive costume design.

Over the top and downright hilarious, the puffs of her dresses or the butterflies in her hair hit the mark. As in the original “Hunger Games,” the pageantry that the story calls for really brings costumes to the forefront of the viewer’s experience.

Above all it is not President Snow, played by a very capable Donald Sutherland (“The Italian Job”), to whom tribute should be paid. Director Francis Lawrence, the ringleader behind “I Am Legend” and “Water for Elephants,” has finally proven himself with tight, efficient story telling. His previous efforts would not have signaled guaranteed success by any means, but Lawrence knocks the cover off of a two-and-a-half hour movie.

Movies of this length can drag on to the point where audiences start to question if they’ve celebrated a birthday while watching it, but Lawrence doesn’t waste a single beat of a well-written script, and the mix of action and dialogue in this film is as taut as Katniss’s signature bow.

With two more films to come, Lawrence and his talented cast will have plenty more to deliver on. Stretching the soup, though obviously kind to the wallets of all parties involved, is a difficult task.

There was never a dull moment in “Catching Fire,” and that pace becomes even more necessary because of the split of the third installment.

After a summer of tortured big budget messes, it’s reassuring to know that there are still those in Hollywood who can ensure that the odds are ever in our favor when walking into a theater.

– By Eric Frank 

Photo courtesy of Lionsgate