You’ve probably heard of cannabis, hemp, and marijuana before but do you really understand the differences between them? Many people use these terms interchangeably but they have very distinct characteristics – both in terms of their chemical composition and legal status. For example, you could have noticed that reputable online stores such as Home Town Hero offer hemp-based products and not marijuana-based ones but why? In this article, we’ll break down all the essential facts about it.

What Is Cannabis?

Cannabis is a genus of flowering plants in the family Cannabacea that has a wide range of unique applications ranging from medicinal to recreational. It includes a variety of species, more popularly known of which are marijuana and hemp. So if you were wondering if hemp is cannabis, it is. And so is marijuana.

Cannabis has a long history of cultivation and usage because of its capability to help with a variety of ailments and produce a multitude of useful industrial products. In recent years, there’s been a movement for increased acceptance of cannabis use due to its many assumed benefits.

What Is Marijuana?

As we can understand from the previous part, for one thing, marijuana is a species of cannabis. A peculiar feature of this species is the high concentration of the cannabinoid THC. Due to the high levels of THC, the use of marijuana causes intoxication. This is why the legal status of the plant remains ambiguous. Even those states that have approved recreational marijuana have some restrictions regarding the amount one can possess, home cultivation, as well as using it in public places.

What Is Hemp?

Just like marijuana, hemp is a species of cannabis. Its distinctive characteristic is that it only contains no more than 0.3% THC. This means that its consumption will not give the “high” that marijuana normally provides. As a result, hemp-based products are legal in all 50 states and users can freely get them from online and offline stores alike.

What Are Cannabinoids?

Cannabinoids are a diverse group of compounds found in cannabis (which means they are present in both hemp and marijuana plants). They interact with our bodies through the endocannabinoid system, playing an important role in regulating mood, appetite, pain response, and more. There are over 100 individual cannabinoids that have been identified, including the aforementioned tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD). The former is present in cannabis plants in far lower quantities than the latter.

Legal Status

The simplest explanation of the legal status of cannabis would be as follows: marijuana is illegal at the federal level but different states have their own regulations regarding its use. And, vice versa, hemp is federally legal but some forms of its possession and use can be restricted in a series of states including Iowa, Louisiana, and New Hampshire, to name but a few.

Popular Hemp-Based Product Types

Since hemp-based products are legal at the federal level, these days, you can find a plethora of them available in stores. Gummies and edibles have become some of the most sought-after items as they come in a variety of tastes and shapes. Hemp flower is becoming increasingly popular too: with its naturally high levels of cannabinoids, it provides users with an alternative to smoking traditional cannabis strains.

Topicals are also highly demanded as they offer a convenient way to apply cannabinoids directly to the skin. Other types of products such as concentrates, tinctures, and live rosin allow users to consume hemp in even more creative ways with few or no psychoactive effects.

Tips for Choosing a Suitable Product

Choosing safe and suitable hemp-based products can feel daunting, but it doesn’t have to be! There are, for example, some strategy tips that can facilitate the task.

Tip #1: Read product labels

The labels on the container can provide valuable insight. Thus, checking for information such as an ingredient list, instructions for use, and any disclaimers can be your first line of defense. Take time to read through ingredient lists carefully if you have food sensitivities or allergies. The more detailed knowledge you have about what’s in the product and how to use it properly, the safer and healthier choice it is for you.

Tip #2: Research the company behind the product

Knowing who manufactured the product, where it was made, and who distributed it can go a long way in terms of safety. A trusted, established company with a good track record is usually your best bet when it comes to purchasing hemp products or any other consumable item. Avoid suspicious companies that lack detailed information or have little to no online presence — these should act as red flags in your search for a reputable quality product. Taking time to look into the people behind the products ultimately boils down to peace of mind and gives you a much better chance at selecting an effective remedy or dietary supplement.

Tip #3: Always consult your healthcare provider

Before you start incorporating hemp-based products into your daily routine, it’s best to check in with a healthcare provider for advice. Whether you’re looking for beauty products, nutritional supplements, or other hemp items, understanding which ingredients may react badly with any medications you take is critical. And they can guide on how much is considered an appropriate dosage, too.

Final Thoughts

With this guide, you are now equipped with the information necessary to decide whether hemp-based products are the right fit for you. And remember — cannabis has a lot of benefits, but it’s also important to be aware of the potential risks involved in using it. Be sure to do your research and consult with a healthcare professional before trying any new substance, especially if you have existing health conditions.