The Atlanta Braves returned to the top of their division Sunday, clinching the National League (NL) East division crown and a playoff spot. The Braves defeated the Chicago Cubs 5-2, a win that will send the team to the playoffs for only the third time in the last eight seasons. They also dominated the NL East this year, holding the division lead by more than 10 games for the majority of the year. All of this leaves Braves fans to ask: will this be the year their team brings a World Series back to the city of Atlanta?

The Braves have been outstanding in the regular season in the past two decades, reaching the postseason 17 out of the last 23 years, but they have not had the best luck during the playoffs, winning the fall classic just once during that time period. Can the Braves finally get back to the World Series for the first time in 14 years – and what might hold them back?

THE LINEUP

The Braves’ lineup has been very productive for most of the year. Outfielder Justin Upton has been a solid addition to the lineup, hitting 26 home runs. Both Freddie Freeman and newly acquired third baseman Chris Johnson are having career seasons. Freeman is batting .315 with 23 home runs and was selected to his first All Star game this year. Johnson, who was acquired from Arizona in the Justin Upton trade, is second in the NL with a .325 batting average.

What could go wrong: B.J. Upton is having a miserable season after signing a huge deal in the offseason. Jason Heyward has also had a disappointing season, batting just .248 and hitting only 13 home runs. The Braves also have guys like Dan Uggla, Andrelton Simmons and Brian McCann, who have proven they can hit the home run this year, but each is batting below .250. If the Braves need to wait for home runs in order to score runs, they could be in for a short postseason.

STARTING LINEUP

The Braves have three starters that Manager Freddie Gonzalez has felt very comfortable turning to all year. Kris Medlan, Mike Minor and Julio Teheran all have ERA’s below 3.50 and have at least 13 wins. Each has started at least 30 games this year and is approaching 200 innings.

What could go wrong: The Braves do not have a dominant ace they can hand the ball to. In the regular season, it is nice to have a consistent starting rotation to go to, but in the playoffs, teams want dominant starters that can win them 2-3 games by themselves. The Braves’ starters are good but will not be able to match up to guys they could face, like Clayton Kershaw or Adam Wainwright.

Most of the Braves rotation either has minimal playoff experience or no playoff experience at all. The only pitcher who had experience in the playoffs was Tim Hudson, who is out for the year after breaking his ankle earlier in the season.

THE BULLPEN

As Mariano Rivera retires as the greatest closer to ever play the game of baseball, it is important to note how valuable a closer can be to a playoff run and a World Series title. The closer, Craig Kimbrel, has been outstanding this season, saving 49 out of 53 opportunities. This will be a huge luxury for Gonzalez, who will go to Kimbrel many times during postseason to get the final three outs of the game.

What could go wrong: the Braves have many good, young, hard throwing relievers in their bullpen that have been important to the season the team has had. Because they are young, these pitchers have very little playoff experience and have not pitched with as much pressure as they will face when they enter a playoff game. Kimbrel is included in this conversation.

At just 24 years old, Kimbrel will be pitching in just his second postseason. In his first playoff series, Kimbrel did not pitch the way he expected to, blowing a save and taking the loss in Game Three of the series, which would have given the Braves a 2-1 lead.

By the time October ends, the Braves will not be adding a World Series to their storied history. There are too many teams in the NL that are better prepared for a playoff type atmosphere than the Braves. And even if they were to find a way to make it to the World Series, there is a team from Detroit waiting with two aces, a triple crown and MVP winner, and a 290-pound first baseman named Prince. Maybe next year will be the year.

By Brian Chavkin