As much as it pains me to say, as a native of suburban Philadelphia, the Atlanta Braves have absolutely schooled the Philadelphia Phillies all year.

Coming into the 2019 MLB season, the two teams were primed for an intense, season-long battle for the division title. Each team was supposed to flip-flop atop the National League (NL) East standings only for the division winner to be crowned during the season’s twilight. Instead, the Braves ran away with the division, leaving my hometown Phillies in distress.

Entering the offseason, Phillies owner John Middleton boldly claimed that the team would spend “stupid money” on free agents. And in a way, they did — they signed star right fielder Bryce Harper to a 13-year, $330 million contract, the largest contract in MLB history (for about two weeks). The Phillies were so focused on Harper that they largely neglected other free agents, a lapse in judgement that is coming back to bite them right now.

The Braves signed third baseman Josh Donaldson to a one-year, $23 million contract in the winter, which honestly seemed like a gross overpay at the time. Donaldson, 33, is a former American League MVP whose multiple injuries sidelined him for the majority of the previous season. Obviously, the Braves saw something in Donaldson that the Phillies didn’t, as he is currently hitting .262 with 37 home runs, far better production than any of the several third basemen the Phillies have trotted out.

Further, after failing to get his desired contract and beginning the season as a free agent, pitcher Dallas Keuchel signed with the Braves on June 7 for one-year and $13 million. Again, Philadelphia’s decision not to sign Keuchel is understandable, as the former Cy Young Award winner was originally asking for a six-year, $12o million contract despite declining fastball velocity and overall numbers over the past few seasons.

Since landing in Atlanta, however, Keuchel has posted an 8-5 win-loss record with a 3.35 earned run average — better than any Phillies pitcher so far. Keuchel had some choice words for the Phillies’ front office after he pitched a gem against Philadelphia on Sept. 11, and who could blame him? Keuchel was well within the Phillies’ budget, and for a team willing to spend “stupid money,” it’s inexcusable that Philadelphia, a team with a mediocre-at-best pitching staff, didn’t even call Keuchel to discuss a potential contract.

Middleton and the rest of the Phillies front office should be ashamed of themselves. The Braves schooled Philadelphia at their own game: spending money. Building a contending ball club doesn’t mean breaking the bank on one player (Harper). It means acquiring any player that could help your club, either through free agency or a trade deal. The Braves understand this, while the Phillies do not. 

Atlanta, congratulations on your second consecutive NL East division title. Philadelphia, learn from the Braves and spend your “stupid money” in the offseason.

Ryan Callahan (he/him) (22C) is from Richboro, Pennsylvania, majoring in philosophy, politics, and law. Callahan previously served as a managing editor, the Wheel's sports editor and is also the co-president of Emory's Pre-Law Society. He is currently an English tutor at Ringle, and previously interned for his state representative and district attorney. If he's not at Kaldi's, you can catch him complaining about the Sixers or replaying the Batman: Arkham games.