On Sept. 27, The New York Times unapologetically released President Donald Trump’s tax returns. 

The reports reveal that Trump paid a mere $750 in federal income taxes in 2016 and no income tax at all for 10 of the 15 years prior. The reports also show an alarming $26 million vaguely marked as “consulting fees” paid to unknown recipients between 2010 and 2018 without explanation. The illegal nature of such largely considered tax fraud or evasion is highlighted by former White House lawyer Micheal Cohen who explained, “If I went to jail for 36 months on tax evasion — which probably should have been tax omission — Donald Trump should do 360 years.” When asked to justify the minimal taxes paid, Trump credited the small sums to aggressive losses in assets, despite his “successful businessman” brand. 

While the release of Trump’s financial records are shocking, former Vice President and Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden’s response proves to be on par with the reveal. Just hours before the first presidential debate, Biden and his running mate Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) voluntarily released their own tax returns, purposefully showing that Biden paid nearly $300,000 in income tax in 2019. Biden’s move strategically compared the two candidates’ financial contributions as well as highlighted Biden’s subscription to forthright politics. Meanwhile, Trump aimed to keep up the guise of paying “millions” in income taxes during the first presidential debate despite hard evidence blatantly falsifying his claims.

Numbers aside, this comes down to transparency. Biden voluntarily releasing his tax returns contrasted with Trump’s lengthy battle speaks immensely to their personal valuation of truth within their respective campaigns. Even in the scope of previous presidents, Trump’s lack of transparency is startling. Modern presidential tradition has led each former president, except former President Gerald Ford, to voluntarily release tax reports so the public is informed that their taxes are being used appropriately. This is simply an act of political transparency and responsibility. Time after time, we have seen Trump outright lie and dismiss evidence of his failure to pay his taxes. And on Sept. 29, we watched him lie without hesitation during the presidential debate about his federal tax returns. These actions all point to the lack of worth Trump ascribes to the truth. 

But Trump’s evasion of income taxes also reflects his disregard for his own country. In 2011, Trump declared, The amazing thing is that half of the country is paying nothing. Zero. And even if you don’t make a lot, you should have to pay something. Just something to be a part of the game.” Ironically, it seems as if Trump hasn’t been “a part of the game” for years despite his ability to contribute greatly in taxes and monetary participation. Taxpayers run America: they fund our education and our infrastructure, so why shouldn’t Trump pay dues as well? Trump’s self-proclaimed “smart” tactics that have kept him from contributing toward America’s future do nothing more than play into his perfidious character. 

As the elected leader of the U.S., the president should always uphold transparency and eagerly participate in the systems that sustain our country. The recent release of tax returns from both sides of the general election clearly reveals which side strives for transparency and which subscribes to dishonesty. When you vote come November, vote for truth. Vote for transparency. Vote for someone who takes an active role in not just being a leader, but being an American. 

Lena Bodenhamer (24C) is from Fort Collins, Colorado. 

Lena Bodenhamer (24C) is from Fort Collins, Colorado, majoring in philosophy, politics and law. Bodenhamer is an aspiring human rights lawyer who also enjoys running and exploring Atlanta.