news-1

College senior and varsity softball standout Megan Light will be awarded the 2014 Marion Luther Brittain award, the highest honor bestowed upon an Emory student, at this year’s Commencement, according to Senior Vice President and Dean of Campus Life Ajay Nair.

The $5,000 award, named for former President of the Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University alumnus Marion Luther Brittain, is presented to a graduating student from any academic division of the University who is considered to have performed the most “significant, meritorious and devoted service to Emory University,” according to the nomination form.

Light, an Atlanta native, is graduating with a degree in Anthropology and Human Biology with a minor in Global Health, Culture and Society.

Light served as a leader on the field, netting All-American, Player of the Year and countless other accolades as the Lady Eagles’ first baseman, in addition to volunteering with Challah for Hunger, athletic advisory groups and several non-profits.

Goodrich C. White Professor of Anthropology George Armelagos wrote in his nomination letter that among other things, Light is an excellent student, voracious reader and intellectually curious in her academic endeavors.

Armelagos also wrote that Light’s involvement and dedication to things both inside and outside the classroom makes her a “wonderful ambassador” for the University.

“If [Light] were Wonder Woman, I could understand how she gets all this done,” Armelagos wrote. “For a mere mortal she has established an unbelievable record of accomplishments. There is no question she has made ‘significant, meritorious and devoted service to Emory University’ with no expectation of recognition or reward.”

Penny Siqueiros, head softball coach at Emory, wrote in her nomination letter that Light is the type of student-athlete that only comes once a decade and serves as an inspiration to everyone around.

“When [Light] walks into the room, everyone sits up a little straighter, the group becomes a little more attentive and the energy brightens,” Siqueiros wrote. “She is an educator in the gift of giving, whether she knows it or not.”

Siqueiros pointed to several examples of Light’s selfless dedication, including a string of grueling practices where, after the practices were finished, Light would change clothes and immediately head to a homeless shelter to serve food.

Light wrote in an email to the Wheel that receiving the honor is “unreal” and thanked those around her for shaping her college experience.

“When I was called into [Dean] Nair’s office I really had no idea what he could possibly be talking to me about,” Light wrote. “I am proud to receive this honor, but I also know that I owe the majority of it to my family, friends, coaches, professors and everyone who has helped me along the ride here at Emory. The support I have received throughout my college experience has been unbelievable.”

After graduating, Light wrote that she will return to Emory’s Rollins School of Public Health in the fall for her Masters in Public Health, and she plans on using the award money to go towards tuition.

Light also cites her time at Emory as teaching her so many things beyond the classroom to prepare her for the future.

“I have learned how to appreciate diversity, how to work with authority, how to be both a leader and a follower, how to stand up for things you believe in and how to get involved in the things that mean the most to you while at Emory,” Light wrote. “There are so many talented and interesting students here and I feel fortunate to be able to share classes and experiences with all of them.”

–By Stephen Fowler

Stephen Fowler 16C is the political reporter at Georgia Public Broadcasting, the statewide NPR affiliate in Georgia. He graduated from Emory with a degree in Interdisciplinary Studies and covered the central administration and Greek Life for the Wheel before serving as assistant news editor, Emory Life editor and the Executive Digital Editor from 2015-16.