Despite the unexpected friendship between President Donald Trump and President of Mexico Andrés Manuel López Obrador, President-elect Joe Biden’s election caused a collective sigh of relief on the future of international relations. Trump’s attitude toward foreign affairs largely stemmed from his own self-interest and resulted in policy choices that hurt historic international relationships. Whether or not Biden cultivates friendship with López Obrador, he is undoubtedly the better choice for the future of U.S.-Mexico relations: he plans to reform immigration in a humane and holistic way, pledges to reinstate the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program and promises to maintain economic policies that mutually benefit both countries. 

While Trump has formed the appearance of an amicable relationship with Mexico, this relationship is built on self-motivated economic deals intended to primarily benefit the U.S.  Trump has repeatedly demonstrated racist attitudes toward Mexicans prior to and during his presidency, speaking in derogatory terms toward the general Mexican population. The relationship between Mexico and the U.S. is balanced solely upon two leaders, not two countries. Even with López Obrador’s friendship, Trump is not a friend of Mexico as a whole. Biden, however, would put the people of Mexico first. 

The two largest areas of discourse surrounding the U.S. and Mexico are immigration and trade; Biden has plans to advance both. By revoking Trump’s inhumane implementations such as dehumanizing detention centers and forcible ripping of children from their mother’s arms, Biden will shift the general perspective on immigration from an unwanted and dangerous entity to something that has the potential to enrich America. Biden also recognizes the economic importance of a relationship with Mexico: he will continue to support the USMCA trade deal, which stimulates economic growth and interaction between the U.S. and Mexico through creating jobs in both countries and increasing trade. Biden also pledged to reinstate DACA stating, “They are Americans now. They should be treated as Americans now.”

The largest change under the Biden administration will be rhetoric toward Mexico. Substantial diplomatic connections cannot be made by a leader who weaponizes racist language as Trump does; most infamously, Trump stated, “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. …They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.” Biden’s presidency marks the beginning of a new era of rhetoric, one in which he uses speech to grow and heal, not offend and insult. 

Biden will tackle foreign policy between the U.S. and Mexico with genuine action rather than for mere media appearance. Whereas Trump focuses on blocking the border, Biden is focused on fostering the relationship between the U.S. and Mexico. Biden may not have a friendship with López Obrador yet, but he clearly has the progress of Mexico at heart. However, lasting change between the U.S. and Mexico cannot be done by one man alone. The support funneled to causes such as reinstating DACA and ending violent U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement practices are necessary in actualizing a new age of U.S.-Mexico interactions. 

Even small acts like calling your representatives to voice support for Biden’s policy or investing in a nonprofit aimed to give immigrants legal protection contribute to the fight against Trump’s antiquated era of immigration. We must support each other as people, not as countries. 

Lena Bodenhamer (24C) is from Fort Collins, Colorado. 

Lena Bodenhamer (24C) is from Fort Collins, Colorado, majoring in philosophy, politics and law. Bodenhamer is an aspiring human rights lawyer who also enjoys running and exploring Atlanta.