wafflehouseweb

A well-established – no, revered – Georgia institution, Waffle House is not only an amazing place for affordable breakfast food, but it’s also a very communal experience. Where else can you go to get some deliciously crispy hash browns and indulgently greasy bacon at 3 a.m.? It’s comfort food in the truest sense of the word. Life may get you down, but a massive chocolate-chip waffle will always make you feel a little better. Even if you’re not in the mood for breakfast (although this writer can’t imagine that ever being the case), the eatery offers some burgers and sandwiches that aren’t bad-tasting, and a few of them are even are even, dare we say, healthy.

Founded in 1955, “WaHo” has become a true cultural institution in the South with its bona-fide diner feel (complete with a jukebox!) and its always-interesting clientele. There’s a profound social equality that occurs when the high-born and the homeless break bread (or waffle) together, each sitting in cold, plastic booths. Make sure you try the iconic All-American Breakfast, featuring a smorgasbord of luscious food that would make any breakfast lover cry tears of joy. Many critics disparage WaHo’s menu for being appallingly unhealthy but, you know, sometimes you just need something greasy and delectable to wash the worries of the world away (and maybe clog your arteries).

So treat yourself with Waffle House. It’s both the perfect start to every day and the perfect end to any night.

2264 Cheshire Bridge Rd., Atlanta

2850 East College Ave., Decatur