If you have a Sunday afternoon to kill, $34.95 to spend and a desire to be inspired, there is nothing better to do in Atlanta than visit the Georgia Aquarium. Why? In a word: dolphins. In two words: sea otters. In three words: freakin’ whale sharks. The point is, if you want to see grace, power or cuteness, the aquarium is the place for you.

The jury is still out on whether or not dolphins are smarter than humans, but there is no question that they are the most majestic of all creatures. They are sleek, solemn and sensible. When you stand in front of the dolphin tank at the aquarium, watching them swim in circles, patrolling their waters, you cannot help but think to yourself, “Those guys do not mess around.” You cannot help but want to be a better person after watching a dolphin.

In contrast, all the sea otters do is goof around. To watch them leap and dive and frolic and wrestle is to witness one of the few pure things left in this world. Standing in front of their tank will set aside all your cares, worries and burdens, and will transport you into a wonderland of uninhibited joy and imagination.

That leaves whale sharks. They are huge. Simply massive. Utterly gigantic. In fact, according to Wikipedia, whale sharks are “the largest living non-mammalian vertebrate.” If that does not impress you, nothing will. Standing in front of them, you realize just how small you are.

So go to the aquarium. Occupy yourself on a Sunday afternoon with something other than Family Guy reruns. Spend $34.95. Be inspired.

225 Baker St. NW, Atlanta