If you’re like me and hail from north of the Mason-Dixon Line, or perhaps you’re just someone with a finely-tuned inner thermometer, this hot Georgia weather can feel brutal. Walking to class without melting in the heat: difficult. Trying to figure out what to possibly wear in such an inferno: even more challenging. Though it may be hot, there’s no reason why you have to sacrifice your style. In fact, there are tons of popular trends right now that are both stylish and temperature friendly. Here are just three of the trends I’ve noticed – and fully embraced – on campus this “fall.”

The Sundress:

Oh, the sundress. A summer staple; nothing could be easier than throwing on a dress and heading out the door. With all kinds of shapes and designs out there, it’s one of the easiest trends to tailor to your personal style. Plus, what’s more Southern than a sundress? When in Rome, right?

High-waisted jean shorts:

If the thought of a sundress induces an involuntary eye-roll, perhaps you might be more inclined towards the edgier and super popular high-waisted jean shorts. As versatile as regular jean shorts, these have quickly become the style of choice for many people looking for a trendier update to the classic favorite.

Athletic Wear:

Easily the most comfortable of the three styles, cute athletic wear is the ultimate outfit of choice for those days when you’re in a rush and need something to get out the door. More and more people around campus have been taking their workout clothes out of the gym and into class, and I personally couldn’t be more pleased. If I’m going to sit through an hour and 15 minute lecture, comfort is definitely key. But no complaints here if comfort and style happen to mesh!

I suppose dealing with hot weather is something we all signed up for when we came to Emory. However, that doesn’t mean walking to class in what sometimes feels like a giant oven is fun. So go ahead and throw on that dress, or slip into your comfy workout gear. Stay cool while you enjoy that Georgia heat!

– By Jayme Smith