[vc_row][vc_column][ultimate_heading main_heading=”Our Pick: Aditya Govindraj” main_heading_font_size=”desktop:45px;”][/ultimate_heading][ultimate_spacer height=”20″][vc_separator][vc_column_text]

The Wheel’s Editorial Board has decided to endorse Aditya Govindraj (21B) for BBA Council president. Govindraj has the experience, passion and intellect necessary to lead BBA Council in supporting each student organization at Emory. We trust Govindraj to utilize the position of the presidency to implement policies that will enrich the Goizueta Business School and Emory’s student body for years to come. 

Every BBA Council president must have a deep understanding of individual club policies, especially in relation to the SGA’s Finance Code. Govindraj has ample experience designing and implementing impactful policies as a member of BBA Council. As the current BBA Council vice president of finance, Govindraj played a central role in allocating funds to every student organization on campus. His experience on SGA’s executive agency for finance has given him insight into how student councils, including the BBA Council, work with one another to enact policies. Govindraj knows that incremental changes to SGA’s Finance Code have profound consequences for student organizations, and as he himself stated in an interview with the Wheel, his competitor, Emily Ferguson (21B) is “super qualified” for the position of BBA Council president, but lacks experience navigating the nuances of club policy. 

Govindraj was on the SGA Finance Committee, which supported the increase of the student activity fee (SAF) in November. The Editorial Board has also supported the increase, but Govindraj brings a nuanced view to the fee’s application: he believes there are still some “gross injustices” that must be addressed in regards to how the SAF is split between the BBA Council and College Council (CC). For example, the BBA Council receives less funding per student than CC. Govindraj views first- and second-year pre-BBA students, whose SAF doesn’t go toward the BBA Council, as especially vulnerable to the shortcomings of the SAF split. As BBA Council president, he will advocate for a review of the SAF to ensure that pre-BBA students have the same amount of resources before and after they officially join the BBA program. 

Govindraj is passionate about increasing inclusivity within the BBA program. He plans to create a club for Oxford continuees who face a difficult transition from the Oxford campus due to a deficit of resources relating to research, class options and internship opportunities in comparison to students on the Atlanta campus. Govindraj intends to lobby the Goizueta administration for a BBA core course at Oxford and wants to facilitate more collaboration between Oxford SGA and BBA Council. Both of these actions will better integrate the Oxford continuees into the social and academic fabric of Emory and Goizueta and aims to create a more equitable playing field.

As an international student, Govindraj understands that marginalized groups have different experiences and needs while attending Goizueta, and his plans for these groups as BBA Council president are thoughtful and realistic. He intends to hold meetings in which historically marginalized groups can conference with BBA Council to develop policies that better serve their needs. Govindraj will also require BBA Council members to partake in Social Justice Dialogues, Open Expression Observer certification and Sexual Assault Peer Advocates training. 

Govindraj’s platform hinges on three principles: advocacy, inclusivity and experience. We believe that he has the understanding, charisma and determination to live up to those ideals. His platform’s focus on inclusivity and his demonstrated knowledge of BBA Council and its relation to SGA distinguish him as the most capable and qualified candidate for the BBA Council presidency.

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]