The baseball team split a doubleheader against Bates College on Sunday, dropping the first game 5-4 before winning the rematch, 6-3. Both games were only seven innings. The Eagles are now 4-2 on the season.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Connor Dillman started the opener for the Eagles, throwing 99 pitches in six innings and surrendering nine hits and two runs. Dillman struck out and walked three batters.

Dillman was in trouble in the first inning, surrendering a walk and a pair of hits, but was able to get out of the inning when junior right fielder Brandon Hannon gunned down a Bates runner at the plate.

The Eagles took advantage, knocking in a run in the bottom of the second inning when freshman third baseman Jack Karras knocked in sophomore designated hitter Brett Lake on a fielder’s choice.

Bates countered with two runs in the top of the third to take a 2-1 lead. They were the only runs Dillman surrendered on the day.

The Eagles came back with a big fourth inning. junior left fielder Daniel Iturrey walked to start the inning, and advanced to third base on a Lake single.

Junior shortstop Jared Kahn added a double to knock in Iturrey and tie the game, before Karras grounded out to short to score Lake and give the Eagles a 3-2 edge.

A sacrifice fly from sophomore center fielder Wes Peacock would score Kahn and add cushion to the lead.

After two scoreless innings, Bates scored three runs in the top of the seventh off Junior right-handed relief pitcher Matt McMahon. Emory could not answer in the bottom of the inning and fell by a final of 5-4. McMahon suffered his first loss of the season.

Freshman right-handed pitcher Paul Merolla earned his first victory of the season in the second game, going 4 1/3 innings and giving up seven hits and three runs.

Freshman left-hander Stephen Summey pitched 2 2/3 scoreless innings for the save.

Emory used a big five-run first inning to claim an early lead they would not surrender. Kahn worked a leadoff walk and stole second, while Hannon followed with a single. A fielding error and a sacrifice fly would knock in both runners.

Bates cut the deficit to 5-2 on a pair of hits and a sacrifice fly in the top of the second. Two scoreless innings followed before both teams traded runs in the sixth, creating the 6-3 final.

The Eagles will take to the road in their next game when they visit Maryville College (Tenn.) on Tuesday, Feb. 26 at 5 p.m. before taking on Huntingdon College in a three-game series over the weekend.

Contact Ryan Smith at ryan.smith@emory.edu