Emory University’s Autism Center is working with Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport to train airport employees to assist those with autism spectrum disorders (ASD).

According to an Oct 24. University press release, the program – the first of its kind – is part of the Advocate With Autism Resources and Education (AWARE) initiative which aims to educate the community about ASD.

The program was available to up to 50 people and took place during the morning of Oct. 29 at the airport, according to the press release.

Lauren Castriota, psychologist at the Emory Autism Center and director of the AWARE initiative, led the program. She said the training used examples relevant to each airport scenario and consisted of three parts: understanding ASD, determining the functions and behaviors of ASD and interacting with individuals with the disorder.

Lisa Bausley-Williams, senior training specialist in the Department of Aviation at Hartsfield-Jackson, said the airport previously worked with the Emory Autism Center in 2011. The Center hosted a group of young adults with autism and taught them how to traverse the airport.

Castriola said a need exists for airport staff training.

“The need became apparent [in 2011] that the airport staff also needed to be trained on the other end so they could better understand and interact with individuals with ASD,” Castriota said.

All participants received a badge or window sticker for their office with an AWARE graphic to inform the public that they had been trained. They will also receive biweekly follow up emails, according to Castriota.

Castriota added that families who have visited a training site can provide anonymous feedback about the experience.

Many airport employees have expressed interest in the program, according to Bausley-Williams.

“There are a number of employees here at the airport that have children with Autism,” Bausley-Williams said. “I have a 13-year-old son who does, so this program is especially meaningful to us.”

Any employee who interacts with the public is eligible for training, which includes Transportation Security Administration agents, airline employees, customer service representatives and restaurant workers.

Castriota said feedback on the training has been positive.

She added that future training might be conducted with individual airport departments in addition to other locations in the community where employees interact with people with ASD.

– By Alyssa Posklensky