Irina Lucaciu
College ’15

So, what exactly is the NBB major? 

NBB stands for Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. It is an interdisciplinary program that brings together knowledge primarily from the fields of neuroscience, biology, psychology and anthropology. We (NBB nerds) explore the brain mechanisms that govern the way people think, move or communicate with one another. We use science to understand human nature.

What made you choose to be an NBB major?

I was interested in the way people think and act for a long time before I knew the field of neuroscience even existed. In high school, I was drawn to psychology, so during my first semester at Emory I took an introductory Psychobiology and Cognition class with Dr. [David] Edwards. I was also an office assistant in the NBB office, and I had the chance to meet amazing faculty and staff and learn more about the program while working there. Less than three months into the semester, I was an NBB major, and so I’ve been ever since.

Are all NBB majors pre-med?

No! Not at all. Some people are interested in pursuing research and other career paths. I have a friend who was an NBB and philosophy double-major, and is now attending graduate school for philosophy. I am not pre-med either.

What’s the difference between NBB and psychology? 

There is much more science you get to explore as an NBB major than as a psychology major.

You have to take intro to Bio and Chem, and you do need to solve some physics problems in NBB 301 (as all 301 survivors know). Nothing very scary, however. Plus, every senior receives an awesome NBB cap after surviving NBB 401 in the fall semester.

What’s the best thing about being an NBB major?

Such a hard question! The ideas. The science. The people – students, professors, staff. The fact that we try to understand something (the brain) that has been studied since the beginning of history. The fact that it is so interdisciplinary, and it can always surprise you by offering a different point of view.

What’s the hardest thing about being an NBB major?

Trying to explain to everyone else why NBB is the best major.

What’s been your favorite NBB class so far?

Another hard question. I love the Literature and Science class that I am taking at the moment, which is an NBB elective offered by the English Department. But I would say I’ve been a fan of all the NBB classes I’ve ever taken.

What are you looking to do, career-wise, with your NBB major?

I am still debating between graduate school for clinical psychology and a JD/PhD program that would allow me to enter the field of ethics, bioethics and neuroethics.

What is the weirdest thing you’ve done as an NBB major?

Touched a human brain! I wouldn’t exactly call that weird, though.

Do you have any advice for freshmen or incoming students pursuing the NBB major?

Come to the NBB office (1462 Clifton Rd. Building, Suite 304) and talk to Nadia, Allen and any students hanging out there at the moment. You will learn as much as you ever wanted to learn about NBB and much more.

Connect with your professors, and ask them about their research. Be curious. Bring ideas from the humanities into the scientific environment of NBB.