Exactly four weeks have passed since the first day of the spring semester; it’s safe to say we’re in the thick of academics now. With midterms approaching and assignments piling up, take some time for yourself and explore the arts. From a new Michael C. Carlos Museum Exhibit to a student playwriting festival to classical music concerts, here are some of the most exciting and interesting events of what Emory arts has to offer in the upcoming weeks.

Mia Usman / Staff Illustrator

Anne-Sophie Mutter & Mutter Virtuosi Concert
Date: Feb. 2, 8 p.m.
Location: Cherry Logan Emerson Concert Hall 
Cost: $90 (GA) | $10 (Emory Students) 

Celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Schwartz Center’s opening with a night of beautiful music performed by Anne-Sophie Mutter, renowned violinist. Music includes “The Four Seasons” by Vivaldi and the premiere of Unsuk Chin’s “Gran Cadenza.” 

Dooley Noted: First Friday Performance
Date: Feb. 3, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Location: Emory Student Center steps
Cost: Free

Join Dooley Noted, the gender-inclusive and service-oriented Emory A cappella group, for a showcase of music talent at Emory’s First Friday event. 

Carlos Museum: Life and The Afterlife Exhibit 
Date: Feb. 4 – Aug. 6
Location: Michael C. Carlos Museum 
Cost: $8 (GA) | Free (Emory Students)

Featuring ancient Egyptian Art from the Senusret collection, “Life and the Afterlife” opens in the upcoming weeks and will remain all semester. This exhibition focuses on the history of the Senusret collection, featuring artifacts from ancient everyday life, amulets and jewelry, religious items and burial items. Pieces in the exhibition highlight faculty and student research.

Lenaia Student Playwriting Festival
Date: Feb. 5, 2 p.m. | Feb. 5, 7:30 p.m. | Feb. 6, 7:30 p.m.
Location: Schwartz Center for Performing Arts black-box theater
Cost: Free

Support fellow Emory writers by attending the Lenaia Festival, a collection of staged readings of original plays written and selected by Emory students. Selections include, but are not limited to, an absurdist sci-fi comedy, a Chinese fairytale-inspired love story and a retelling of the Greek myth of Cassandra. 

Emory Jazz Fest 2023
Date: Feb. 9, 2:30 p.m. | Feb. 10, 8 p.m. | Feb. 11, 11:30 a.m. | Feb. 11, 8 p.m.
Cost: Free – $10 (Emory Students) |  $30 (GA)

Jazz up your weekend with a lecture and multiple performances featuring Warren Wolf, the Emory Jazz Fest All Stars, the Emory Big Band, Gary Motley Trio and members of the string section of the Emory University Symphony Orchestra.  

Transforming Learning through Stories and Music
Date: Feb. 9, 7 p.m. 
Location: Emory Performing Arts Studio 
Cost: Free

Tom Willner will take audiences on a journey through his diagnosis as a cancer patient, integrating stories and music to take audiences on a transformative journey and touch on topics of compassion and the impact we have in the world. 

Ada Limón Poetry Reading
Date: Feb. 11, 3 p.m.
Location: Glenn Auditorium
Cost: Free

Award-winning Mexican American poet Ada Limón will give a public reading of her poetry followed by a signing of her newest book “The Hurting Kind”. Limón is known for her accessible yet profound and poignant poems centered around the beauty of nature. 

ECMSA: Bach Bowl
Date: Feb. 12, 4 p.m. 
Cost: Free 

Have you ever wanted to pregame the Super Bowl with classical music? Now you can! Enjoy Bach’s set of Variations, as performed by a variety of on-campus musical groups and other musicians.

Alexandra Kauffman (26C) is an English & Creative Writing major from Phoenix, Arizona. At the Wheel, she is an Emory Life section editor and Arts & Entertainment campus desk. Outside of the wheel, she is a member of Alloy Literary Magazine. She is also a science fiction enthusiast and enjoyer of the bizarre.