Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2024

Oxfordspringstart_sashaemmerich_contributingillustrator

Oxford launches new London program, replacing Spring Start program

Oxford College is launching a new fall study abroad program for first-years, Oxford Launch in London, starting fall 2025. Oxford is partnering with nonprofit study abroad organization Institute for the International Education of Students (IES Abroad), according to International Student Programs Senior Director Daphne Orr.

The London program will replace the Spring Start program, during which a small cohort of Oxford students spend their first semester away from Oxford’s campus pursuing other interests and arrive on campus in January.

The first cohort of the new program will include around 50 students to maintain a small class size ratio, according to Orr. She added that students will reside in and use educational facilities in the IES Abroad London Center accompanied by two Oxford faculty members.

“This program really brings Oxford’s goals of expanding our global education and learning programs by bringing high-impact experiential learning opportunities for students,” Orr said. “It’s really exciting to have this innovative learning opportunity launch for Oxford students.”

Orr emphasized that students in the London program will participate in new student orientation at Oxford before departing for London.

“They’ll do all of our amazing Oxford traditions: Ox Coke toast, the Ox Olympics,” Orr said. “They’ll already start to build relationships with their peers and the first-year class. They’ll get to meet our professional staff, so meet with the Advising Support Center team, Student Health, go to the library. They’ll see their college experience at Oxford.”

Students applying to Oxford will only have to check a box indicating that they are interested in applying for the London program, according to Center for Pathways and Purpose Director Bridgette Gunnels. She added that she is looking forward to meeting the students who will choose this “non-traditional start.”

“I’m quite certain it’s going to be full of global citizens that are excited and ready to go, likely interested in international careers or have some idea around how the next part of their life looks as it relates to where I study, where I live, where I travel,” Gunnels said.

Gunnels believes that the London program will better integrate students into Oxford, describing the program as “more Oxford.”

“London is allowing us to develop a unique experience for this group of students that fits a lot better into the life of the college,” Gunnels said. “The Spring Start program had its problems, and for me, London is seeking to address some of those.”

Oxford is currently working with IES Abroad to determine what courses the program will offer. Orr said the course offerings will include a discovery seminar and general education requirements. Oxford and IES Abroad are also developing assessment practices to understand student experiences, according to Orr.

Gunnels added that qualitative feedback is key for evaluating the success of the program. She said that the two Oxford faculty will likely spend informal time with the students and be able to gauge the “temperature” of how students feel about the program.

In an email to The Emory Wheel, Oxford College Dean Badia Ahad wrote that the program creates a more Oxford-oriented experience for students.

“We decided to discontinue the Spring Start program because we wanted students to have an Oxford academic experience over the course of four semesters,” Ahad wrote. “Because the Oxford Launch program is faculty-led, we believe this option better aligns with the College's educational approach and values.”

Oxford Student Government Association (OxSGA) Spring Start Liaison Isabella Chow (25Ox) said that the London program is a “better option” for spring starts, as it provides structure for their first semester.

“One thing a lot of spring starts, including myself, was worried about was we had no structure during our gap semester,” Chow said. “It was very much like we got thrown in the deep end and we had to figure it out on our own.”

However, Chow said that the costs that come with studying abroad may be a concern for prospective students.

“My only concern is that I know a lot of spring start students — we chose it because we didn’t have to pay for another semester at Emory,” Chow said.

Other universities, such as Northeastern University (Mass.) have implemented similar programs in which students spend their first semester or year in London.

Looking to the future, Gunnels hopes to see Oxford expand this program to other locations as well.

“I would love to see other locations on the table,” Gunnels said. “As long as we, the faculty and the staff and the administration, can make the experience deep and Oxford-specific, it works.”