Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2024

TikTok_app.jpg

Outrageous internet conspiracies will ruin our democracy

“Joe Biden is dead,” Elon Musk wrote in a post on X a few days after President Joe Biden dropped out of the 2024 presidential election and endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris as his replacement. This statement is unsubstantiated and utterly ridiculous. Despite the absurdity, the conspiracy claiming that the Democratic Party was covering up Biden’s death gained immense traction online in July.

Likewise, four years ago, one-third of Americans believed easily refutable claims that Biden stole the 2020 presidential election from former President Donald Trump. On Jan. 6, 2020, the world watched the dangers of misinformation manifest in an insurrection that destabilized U.S. democracy. As Election Day approaches, dangerous narratives such as recent claims that Democrats are withholding aid in the wake of Hurricane Helene continue to swirl in the digital world. To make matters worse, algorithms designed to maximize engagement allow these lies to spread unchecked. If we continue to ignore the dangers of conservative extremism, we are ignoring the most imminent threat to our democracy: the internet.

Watching the news through social media comes with numerous benefits. At Emory University, many of my friends enjoy the accessibility and short-form nature of social media news, which allows them to stay informed amid a busy academic schedule. Unfortunately, social media algorithms are not concerned with providing balanced content to help users develop comprehensive views on issues. Instead, TikTok’s For You Page pushes out provocative content and funnels users into echo chambers to keep them hooked for longer. As companies throw similar material at viewers, it creates feedback loops, ultimately allowing those companies to profit the most. Nobody wants to hear that their favored candidate lost, and they can find solace in online forums and creators that reinforce false narratives about a rigged election.

Rabbit holes of misinformation, such as false speculations about the 2020 election results, comprise the larger alt-right pipeline. This pipeline begins with widely suitable, slightly right-leaning content and gradually progresses into dangerous radical content with real-world implications. Engagement with agreeable topics, such as critiques of government policy, can easily morph into problematic rhetoric, such as xenophobic narratives, without users even noticing. I can personally attest to the deceptiveness of the alt-right pipeline. My social media experience began by following a few meme accounts with right-wing propaganda disguised as edgy jokes and dark humor. I was later exposed to more extreme content that approached openly hateful territory over time. I began to repeatedly view racist, misogynistic and discriminatory narratives without even noticing. Fortunately, I eventually recognized the harmful nature of this content, but social media algorithms repeatedly facilitate this experience for many other teenagers and young adults.

Numerous deadly events, such as the 2023 Jacksonville, Fla. shooting, are fueled by prominent internet conspiracies, such as the Great Replacement Theory, which purports that minorities are slowly replacing white people in predominantly white countries. Toxic ideologies like these have devastating effects on our nation, which is built on diversity and differing perspectives. By turning people against each other and fostering discrimination, we are eroding what makes our country special.

Numerous prominent politicians, including Trump’s 2024 vice presidential candidate Sen. J.D. Vance (R-Ohio), have drawn on these far-right ideas, echoing the sentiments of the Great Replacement Theory on numerous occasions. Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), the minority leader of the U.S. Senate, refused to denounce the theory during a press conference as well. Radical and extremist beliefs that were once confined to fringe spaces now reach more Americans because high-profile political leaders like McConell and Vance condone them.

The dangers of the far-right internet are more evident than ever during the current election season. A recent poll found that one in three Republicans believe pop star Taylor Swift and football player Travis Kelce’s romantic relationship is a government psyop created to benefit the Democratic Party. Additionally, prominent public figures like Musk have demonstrated belief in antisemetic online conspiracies, liking and commenting on posts that claim Jewish people are directing “hordes of immigrants” into Western countries in an effort to tyrannize white people. These unfounded and bizarre claims are the result of the internet radicalizing millions of people, who are now willing to believe any information online that supports their beliefs.

All of this misinformation and fear-mongering contributes to a continually polarizing climate, with growing animosity between Democrats and Republicans. In January, a poll found the majority of Trump supporters claimed they had no confidence in the integrity of the 2024 election results. By eroding trust in our institutions and reducing the likelihood of dialogue between parties, the internet is destroying our current democratic system — one which hinges on compromise and understanding.

If the United States does not want a repeat of the 2020 election’s drawn-out and violent transition of presidential power, equitable and moderated social media news is essential. Conflict and hostility between different political groups will continue to escalate with this misinformation and polarization. Media literacy also must be emphasized: We have seen how easy it is for older generations, such as baby boomers, to be influenced by deceptive content and fall into full-blown conspiracy networks. To ensure American Democracy stays safe, keeping Generation Z and future generations away from dangerous ideas means teaching them to critically analyze the content that they consume.

The current digital landscape offers a myriad of resources, but in terms of political information, it has largely failed us. Instead of relying on profit-driven corporations to educate us, we must take on that burden ourselves. It is more important than ever to prioritize media literacy and critical thinking when seeking out sources of news. By taking back control of our political education, we can rebuild a healthier, more informed democracy.

Zayn Bandukwalla (28C) is from Potomac, Md.