Friday, Oct. 25, 2024

NLE-Soph Guerieri-1 (1).JPG

NLE Choppa delivers spotty performance

Excited Emory University students rushed toward the gates of McDonough Field to gain the best spot near the stage for the annual Student Programming Council (SPC) Homecoming concert on Oct. 19. As part of the general homecoming festivities, SPC invited rapper NLE Choppa to perform for undergraduate students free of charge. Alongside the performance, tents and tables of free food stood available to the attendees.

Preceding the main act, student performer DJ Rish readied the crowd with interesting remixes of popular tracks such as “Rich Baby Daddy (feat. Sexyy Red & SZA)” (2023) by Drake and “Guess featuring billie eilish” (2024) by Charli xcx. Although DJ Rish and other student performers brought the energy, many attendants stood restless, anticipating NLE Choppa’s arrival. William Barrett (28C) expressed his excitement for the upcoming act.

“I can't wait to see NLE Choppa,” Barrett said. “I'm so excited. I'm jumping for joy right now.”

Alongside Barrett, the crowd’s energy grew when NLE Choppa took the stage 10 minutes past his promised time. NLE began his performance with the track “WE SEE YOU” (2023), which samples the song “Funkytown” (1979) by Lipps Inc.

Many in the crowd stood with their phones in the air and recorded NLE Choppa’s performance. Naomi Arragon (28C) said that it was “really cool” having an artist like NLE Choppa perform at Emory.

“WE SEE YOU” ended with glass crashing and airhorns billowing throughout the venue as NLE Choppa transitioned from one song to the next. Outbursts of intermittent acapella sections demonstrated his vocal talent and sporadic performance manner.

In the most climactic portion of the set, NLE Choppa led a rendition of his popular track “SLUT ME OUT” (2023) and ripped off his sweatshirt as the crowd went wild. He shouted out to the women in the crowd while introducing, “IT’S GETTING HOT” (2023). Many audience members stood enthralled while they danced, cheered and took pictures. Risha Sethi (28C) raced to the water station for refreshment as she cooled down after dancing in the packed crowd.

“It's good for a free concert,” Sethi said. “It’s cute that everyone can just do this together.”

As the clock struck 10 p.m., the crowd became ecstatic and rowdy. After the expected final song, NLE Choppa stayed to perform an encore, a repeated performance of “SLUT ME OUT 2” (2024). Allegra Tachner (28C) appreciated the concert’s location on campus and the main act’s cultural relevance.

“It's a really great opportunity to hang out with my friends in a fun scenario and NLE Choppa is very relevant this year,” Tachner said. “It's great to take advantage of the opportunities Emory gives us.”

NLE Choppa’s performance at Emory was a dynamic blend of energy and excitement, showcasing the live music’s strength and campus spirit. The crowd’s enthusiasm and engagement were palpable, especially during his most popular tracks. The vibrant atmosphere, enhanced by the opening sets, created a memorable experience. 

However, a few flaws were present in NLE’s performance. He anticipated the audience would sing along to the lyrics, but they often didn’t, leading to random silences. While the energy was infectious, the random pauses and sound effects detracted from the overall experience for a few in the crowd. Despite the shortcomings, the concert served as a significant opportunity for community engagement and entertainment, embodying the fun and relevance of campus events.