Friday, Oct. 25, 2024

20190620_085226000_iOS.jpg

Emory men’s basketball looks to lean on experience, unity for upcoming season

Last spring, the Emory University men’s basketball team had an underwhelming end to their 2023-24 season. They finished with a solid 15-10 record but missed the opportunity to compete in the 2024 NCAA Division III Men’s Basketball Championship. The Eagles also finished fifth in the University Athletic Association (UAA) standings with a 6-8 conference record.

As the team looks to improve this season with their first game next month, the Eagles have a chip on their shoulder. Returning senior and sharpshooter Albert Fallas, who has had two 40% three-point seasons in three years with the team, believes their previous shortcomings will drive their future successes.

“Coming off a disappointing year last year, we’re definitely a group that has something to prove,” Fallas said. “There’s a lot of versatility and a lot of depth and talent on the team.”

Fallas also maintained a team-best 60.4% true shooting percentage last season, an excellent percentage achievement for a guard. Last year’s leading scorer, junior guard Jair Knight, echoed Fallas' comments, stating that the team aims to meet their own expectations this year.

“We’ve just been a step behind for the past two seasons,” Knight said. “We’re really hungry and eager to not only prove a point but also to accomplish this year.”

One of the team’s biggest issues last season was close game scenarios. The Eagles’ average point differential in wins was 16.7, while their average point differential in losses was 3.4, and in games decided by six points or less, the Eagles went 4-9.

While it is clearly a positive that the team handled easier opponents and competed well in more difficult matchups, head coach Jason Zimmerman still stressed the importance of winning those close games this upcoming season.

“When you look at it individually, it’s a play here, a blockout here, a closeout here,” Zimmerman said. “There's so many little things that go into late game situations that we'll continue to work on throughout the preseason and also going through those experiences.”

This year, the Eagles have a great deal of experience, sporting four juniors and four seniors on their roster.

“We have guys who have started … 256 games in their career combined,” Zimmerman said. “So we’ve had a lot of guys who understand how we want to play, understand their strengths.”

These names include powerful senior forwards Cale Martens and Logan Shanahan who both averaged more than 12 points and seven rebounds per game last season. Knight and junior Ben Pearce are also veterans for the team, both going into their third season averaging over 16 points per game each as starting guards and earning All-UAA First Team honors last year.

This familiarity and understanding of the Eagle’s style of play will go a long way this season. Knight said that this group is “really well-rounded as an offensive team.” 

“Anybody on our team can score,” Knight said.

Zimmerman said the team looks to lean on their fast-paced tempo and creativity to drive their seasoned offense, while solid team defense will give them a shot against their tougher opponents.

Strong team chemistry is another trait that comes with a veteran team. Going into his 17th year with the Emory basketball program, Zimmerman noted that this team has been particularly adept at sticking together.

“Being able to deal with adversity and handle adversity and come out the other side and get better and still stay connected, that’s what makes this team special,” Zimmerman said. “Staying connected through good and bad times … and now attacking a goal together, we're really excited about seeing where this group can go.”

Events like their preseason trip to Spain and their yearly songfest, a tradition where the team has dinner at Zimmerman’s house and each class performs a song, have helped strengthen the bond between players. Fallas emphasized how these bonds can lead to better on-court performances.

“If we stay unselfish and stay connected, we can be really hard and dangerous to guard because it comes from a lot of different places, especially with our two first-team all-conference guys coming back,” Fallas said.

The Eagles face a difficult schedule this season but are ready to face it head-on. After home games against Berry College (Ga.) on Nov. 10 and Guilford College (N.C.) on Nov. 16 to open the season, the team will head to Grand Rapids, Mich., for the Great Lakes Invitational. A majority of the teams in this invitational will be top 25 teams in the country, creating an exciting early-year challenge for the Eagles. Starting in January, the team will begin conference play in the competitive UAA. 

When asked if they have a game circled on their schedule this year, Zimmerman said the team knows that every matchup is crucial, especially considering their tough schedule. Zimmerman acknowledged the challenge ahead of them but believes the tough schedule is part of what makes the team great.

“That’s why you play the game, right?” Zimmerman said. “That’s why you come to Emory — to play one of the best schedules in the country.”