Monday, Oct. 14, 2024

bellamkonda.jpg

Bellamkonda to step down at end of semester

Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs Ravi Bellamkonda will leave Emory University at the end of the fall semester to take up a provost and executive vice president position at The Ohio State University.

University President Gregory Fenves announced Bellamkonda’s departure in an email to the Emory community earlier today. In the statement, Fenves recounted Bellamkonda’s work at the University. Since joining the Emory community in July 2021, Bellamkonda helped recruit seven out of the schools’ nine deans, hire new directors for many programs at Emory and launch the AI.Humanity and Student Flourishing initiatives.

“I have worked closely with Provost Bellamkonda for more than three years and I know how much he cares about the students, faculty, and staff at Emory,” Fenves wrote.

Fenves wrote that he will soon provide information on an interim provost for the spring semester and Emory’s search for a new provost.

“I look forward to recruiting an extraordinary leader to build on Provost Bellamkonda’s success,” Fenves wrote.

Bellamkonda began his career in academia as the Elmer L. Lindseth assistant professor at Case Western Reserve University (Ohio). Before joining Emory, Bellamkonda also went on to serve at the Georgia Institute of Technology as a Wallace H. Coulter professor and chair of the Department of  Biomedical Engineering. He also worked as the Vinick dean of engineering at Duke University (N.C.).

In a statement to The Emory Wheel, Bellamkonda wrote that he will “deeply miss” the Emory community.

“It has been an honor to serve as Emory’s provost over the past three years,” Bellamkonda wrote. “This is an outstanding institution with both ambition and heart.”

Fenves spoke highly of Bellamkonda’s tenure at Emory in his email statement.

“Ravi has been a tremendous partner to me and many others,” Fenves wrote. “He has made important contributions to our university for which I am deeply grateful, and his thoughtful, warm presence on our campuses will be missed.”