Thursday, Sept. 26, 2024

michael kenny.jpg

Trial lawyer Michael Kenny speaks about truth, justice in practicing law

Lawyer Michael Kenny (84L) gave a talk at the Dean’s Dining Room at Oxford College titled “Pursuing Truth: The First Amendment, The Academy, and Jury Trials” on Sept. 17. Kenny advocated fiercely for unity, love and intellectual humility to prevail over ideological purity. During the event, Kenny spoke at length about the First Amendment, his experience with jury trials and the threat of disinformation and “alternate facts.”

Kenny, who has argued cases before the U.S. Supreme Court, used anecdotes, case studies and personal experiences to advise anyone who wants to contribute to public discourse. He emphasized that it is essential to add truth to all conversations.

“Truth in our political discourse is vital for a healthy and free democracy,” Kenny said. “Only reliable, factual information will enable us to make informed and intelligent decisions about our leaders and policies.”

In discussing the nuances and legal struggles regarding the First Amendment, Kenny cited cases such as Snyder v. Phelps, which he said was rife with vulgarity and hate speech. He admonished the proponents of such hostility and emphasized the importance of healthy public debate and respect.

“The fear of oppression that animates the First Amendment cases is not protection of speech because it’s harmless,” Kenny said. “It is the fear of the harm that may cause our democratic stillness if we do not protect it.”

Kenny implored scholars of all levels to approach discourse with a “generosity of spirit and a healthy dose of mutual respect.”

“Truth needs to be the North Star and moral compass that guides us along as we continue to figure out how we can live peacefully together, even though we are diverse and have competing values,” Kenny said.

In particular, Kenny referred to economist John Maynard Keynes, who is famously credited with saying “When the facts change, I change my mind.”

Kenny stressed that it is important for people to remain open to new information and be flexible in their opinions. However, where people get their information is just as crucial, Kenny said, as he warned against the corruption and biases rampant in today’s news sources.

“Who among us would trust a medical journal owned by a tobacco company or a climate science journal owned by an oil company? Or a journal devoted to primary and secondary school societal safety and well-being owned by the National Rifle Association?” Kenny asked.

Assistant Professor of English Sarah Higinbotham, who hosted the event, hoped Kenny’s talk encouraged students to appreciate the value of studying the humanities in depth.

“I hope they see the ways that a broad liberal arts education prepares them for a kind of career where they can make a real contribution to the world and also have a deep life of the mind,” Higinbotham said 

Alexis Cannon (26Ox) attended the event as part of her Oxford Studies course.

“I am very interested in hearing about what kind of career these alumni forged for themselves,” Cannon said.

Kenny’s testimony and insight brought the room to applause. At the end of his lecture, he reminded the audience that “justice wins when truth prevails.”