Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024

IMG_9763.jpg

SGA tables resolution asking for withdrawal of open expression addendum

The Emory University Student Government Association (SGA) tabled a resolution calling on University administration to withdraw the addendum to the Respect for Open Expression Policy on Sept. 23. SGA previously passed a resolution on Sept. 9 condemning the addendum, which Emory administration implemented without consulting the University Senate or its Committee for Open Expression.

Bachelor of Business Administration Legislator Ibrahim Jouja (26C) wrote the resolution due to his belief that the addendum was not content-neutral. The resolution states that the addendum infringes students’ right to “peacefully” assemble. Jouja argued that Emory’s administration should withdraw the addendum unless the University Senate formally agrees to change the current open expression policy.

Earlier on Sept. 23, University President Gregory Fenves and Senior Vice President and Dean of Campus Life Enku Gelaye met with a limited group of SGA members, including SGA President Abigail Dubinski (25B) and Vice President Pranay Mamileti (26B). 

Mamileti said Fenves agreed to meet with SGA more regularly and “show more respect for shared governance.” He expressed concern that passing the resolution may curb that relationship.

In the meeting, Fenves did not agree to attend an SGA general body meeting, according to Mamileti. Jouja criticized this, saying that Fenves should meet with all of SGA.

“He really needs to be with all of us and so that's one reason I'm not satisfied with this response,” Jouja said.