Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024

JLR_4264.jpg

Pro-Palestinian organizations hold protest, SGA passes resolution condemning antisemitic post by event speaker

Emory’s Student Government Association (SGA) unanimously passed Resolution 58sl08 condemning a Instagram post by a speaker at a Sept. 12 pro-Palestinian demonstration. The post drew allegations of antisemitism when they posted a picture on their Instagram story of pro-Israel counterprotestors with the caption “Started smelling like pennies on the quad…” 

“We, the Emory Student Government Association, were appalled and disheartened to see Antisemitic rhetoric perpetuated in our community,” the resolution reads. “The Jewish community has been subjugated to the stereotype of being ‘greedy’ and ‘penny-pinching’ for centuries, spanning back to the Middle Ages.”

Second-year Legislator Seth Weinfield (27C), the resolution’s sponsor, said in the meeting that SGA denouncing the post would be “very important” to the Emory Jewish community. 

“Unfortunately, this antisemitic stereotype was perpetuated by a community member on our campus, and this statement condemns it, while keeping the individual anonymous for their safety,” Weinfield said.

About 200 pro-Palestinian protestors gathered in front of Convocation Hall on Sept. 12 on the Emory University Quadrangle to protest the ongoing conflict in Gaza. Across the Quad, around 40 counter-protestors held Israeli flags and photographs of Israeli hostages.

MEOR Emory Rabbi Yaakov Fleshel wrote in an email to the Wheel that the post and various chalkings earlier this week, including one that said “They will fill your lungs with gas before a penny leaves their pockets” were “blatantly antisemitic.”

“These comments towards peaceful counter-protesters and especially defacing Emory property even if not permanent, would not be tolerated if any other minority group was targeted and should not be acceptable when directed against Jews,” Fleshel wrote.

In an email to the Wheel, the original poster denied that the post was antisemitic. They requested anonymity due to safety concerns and fear of being doxxed.

“Amongst people of color, it is a common joke toward white people in referring to them smelling like pennies when it rains,” the speaker wrote. “This joke can be found through a simple Google search of ‘white people smell like pennies in the rain.’ It was not intended in any part to be antisemitic, and I apologize for any unintentional offense caused.”

The event was the first protest of the academic year after a spring semester marked by demonstrations, including an April 25 encampment on the Quad which ended in the Emory Police Department (EPD), Georgia State Patrol and Atlanta Police Department arresting 28 protestors, 20 of whom were associated with the University. The following week, pro-Palestinian protestors occupied the Quad, on some days until midnight, listening to speakers, holding training activities and community bonding. Additionally, the administration’s decision to call EPD to break up the encampment resulted in a vote of no confidence in University President Gregory Fenves by the student body and over 300 college faculty members.

Echos of last year’s protests were heard at the Sept. 12 event, with protestors chanting phrases such as “We will fight, we will bleed, we will stop your racist greed,” “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free,” and “There is only one solution, intifada revolution.”

Emory Students for Justice in Palestine, Emory Stop Cop City, Emory Students for Socialism, Emory Divest Coalition and Occupy Candler organized the protest.

Zachary Hammond (23Ox, 25C), co-President of Emory Students for Socialism, spoke at the event.

“It gives me hope to see students, not just at Emory but across the entire country, returning to school and sending the message to their complicit and repressive administrations. The movement will not rest until our schools divest and Palestine is free,” he said.

Elijah Brawner (26T), a member of Occupy Candler, said the protestors’ demands were simple.

“Disclose, divest, drop the charges,” Brawner said. “That’s all we’re asking, is disclose that investment portfolio, divest from war, drop the charges.”

Correction (9/19/2024, 1:36 p.m.): A previous version of this article incorrectly stated Seth Weinfield's (27C) graduation year as (26C). In fact, Weinfield will graduate in 2027.