Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024

IMG_9278.jpg

Men’s basketball tunes-up in Spain for new year

The Emory University men’s basketball team took their game overseas this summer with a trip to Spain, immersing themselves in the vibrant cities of Madrid, Valencia and Barcelona while facing Spanish all-star teams in three competitive matches.

Men’s basketball head coach Jason Zimmerman explained that per NCAA rules, the team can embark on an international trip every three years. Under Zimmerman, the team traveled to Northern Ireland in 2011, Germany in 2014 and Italy in 2017, with a planned 2020 trip postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The team kicked off their international excursion in Madrid, where they secured a 93-79 victory over the Madrid All-Stars in an impressive opener on Aug. 18.

Junior guard Ben Pearce notched 21 points, a team-high four assists, three steals and two rebounds. Pearce said the early-season matches served as a valuable opportunity to test themselves post-off-season and identify areas for improvement.

“It felt good to compete in general,” Pearce said. “Usually the last time you play a game is in March and the next time you play a game is in October or November, so it’s a huge gap between when you actually get to test the work you've been putting in and play together as a team.”

Senior forward Logan Shanahan, who contributed seven rebounds against Madrid, shared one of his favorite off-court memories from the team’s time in the city. 

“On our first day in [Madrid], we went straight from the airport to the Las Ventas bullfighting arena, which was kinda gruesome because there’s a lot of history there, but it was cool to go there, see the stadium and learn about the history of bullfighting in Madrid,” Shanahan said. 

The team’s next destination was Valencia, where they faced a tough 93-88 loss on Aug. 19 to the Valencia All-Stars, but enjoyed some time off on the beach.

For Pearce, who contributed 14 points and nine assists — just shy of a double-double — in the Eagles’ second contest of the trip, savoring the beaches of Valencia with his teammates was a highlight for him. 

“We pretty much had an open schedule,” Pearce said. “Until seven o'clock, we were able to just spend it on the beach or at the pool, which was just really relaxing. It felt like vacation.”

Shanahan also had a standout performance, adding 16 points and seven rebounds. 

The Eagles wrapped up their international tour with a second victory, defeating the Barcelona All-Stars 85-72 on Aug. 21. Senior guard Albert Fallas dominated the finale, leading the team with 19 points and shooting 6-for-9 from beyond the arc. The California native also topped the team with five assists, four rebounds and three steals.

Zimmerman was pleased with the team’s performance across all three games and is eager for what's to come. 

“I think everybody contributed, which was important for us on the trip,” Zimmerman said. “We’re really not in game form, yet we competed really well. Our guys are usually pretty good at that — competing.  They have a toughness about them that’s there all the time … Throughout the games, we learned lessons in each game that are gonna help us in the next two months to get ready to play a real game.” 

The veteran coach said he enjoyed watching his players interact with and learn from the European players. 

“After two of the three games, we had dinner with the other team,” Zimmerman said. “Some of our guys want to go play professionally and the guys we played with were all pros in Spain or in Europe, and so just hearing some of their experiences helps our guys.” 

For Zimmerman, this experience wasn’t just about putting points on the board; it was about bonding and building the team’s chemistry.

“Being able to experience different cultures, different countries with the guys that you’re with here all the time makes it a pretty special trip,” Zimmerman said.

Shanahan and Pearce shared the same sentiment, agreeing that the team’s strong bond will benefit them in the upcoming season.

“I think all the time we spent together on the trip – both on and off the court – definitely made us closer as a unit,” Shanahan said. “... Obviously it's a great experience to spend time with some of your best friends on the team, and in a different country it's pretty awesome.” 

Due to NCAA rules, as Zimmerman explained, five freshmen weren’t able to join the team in Spain. However, the Eagles are excited to welcome and integrate the newest additions.

“Adding those five guys to the mix of 11, that's a challenge too because these 11 guys just got experiences together and now we add five,” Zimmerman said. “…But blending those five guys into this mix [is something] we’re really excited about. There’s great room for growth there.” 

The Eagles will tip off their season with a home game against Berry College (Ga.) on Nov. 10 at the George W. Woodruff Physical Education Center. 

“I’m really looking forward to getting everybody on the court together and being together and continuing our journey through another year,” Zimmerman said.