Thursday, Sept. 26, 2024

IMG_1571.jpg

Grammy award winner announces new internship opportunity for Emory students

Atlanta native and Grammy award-winning producer Jermaine Dupri launched a new internship program that will allow two Emory University undergraduate students to work with him at his record label, So So Def Recordings, next spring. Dupri announced the internship during the keynote speech at Emory’s first Ideas Festival, which featured musical guests, speeches and other live entertainment at Oxford College this weekend.

So So Def Recordings has produced music for Soul Train Music Award winner Jagged Edge, Grammy award winner Anthony Hamilton and Billboard Music Award winner Bow Wow.

Students chosen for the internship will begin working with Dupri for academic credit in the 2025 spring semester. Undergraduates in the Emory College of Arts and Sciences, Oxford, Goizueta Business School and Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing are eligible to apply.

Emory College Associate Dean and Vice Provost for Career and Professional Development Branden Grimmett said in a press release that he is “thrilled” that Dupri is teaming up with Emory to create this “unique” opportunity. He added that experiences like these are “critical” for Emory students.

The Ideas Festival spanned across the weekend and featured over 40 speakers. Dupri gave the keynote speech last night, during which he addressed students on various topics in the humanities, including history, science, entrepreneurship, literature, cinematography and music.

To close out the festival, the Grammy-nominated duo SOFI TUKKER gave a speech on “the science of serving bread” this evening.