Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024

elianademfuture.png

Democrats at crossroads: Politicians must prioritize progressivism over easy centrism

The rise of Vice President Kamala Harris to the top of the Democratic ticket has sparked an intense debate about the future of American liberalism. In an era in which Generation Z and millennials hold unprecedented electoral power, the Democratic Party faces a stark choice: doubling down on a centrist strategy or embracing the bold, progressive policy changes that young voters demand. Harris’ recent pivot to the center may seem like a savvy move to attract more moderate voters, but it risks alienating the very demographic that could define the party’s future. The Democratic Party must reimagine itself for a new generation — one that is impatient for real change, not merely the illusion of it.

The Democratic Party’s reliance on centrism has become a well-worn strategy, one that may have brought short-term gains but has failed to address the deeper needs of the electorate. The Barack Obama administration, despite its many accomplishments, left behind a fractured political landscape. The election of former President Donald Trump in 2016 and subsequent surge of progressive energy, epitomized by figures like Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.), signaled a growing appetite for bold, systemic activism and reform. Yet, President Joe Biden’s administration has largely reverted to a more cautious, politically-middle approach, a strategy that has been met with lukewarm approval ratings and declining enthusiasm from the Democratic base.

Harris’ centrist strategy reflects a broader trend within the Democratic establishment — a retreat from the progressive energy that marked her 2020 campaign and electrified young voters. By continuing with this strategy, the party is prioritizing short-term electoral gains over long-term ideological consistency. This shift is often justified by pointing to the success of moderate candidates in swing districts during the 2022 midterm elections, in which they outperformed their more progressive counterparts. However, this analysis is dangerously short-sighted. It fails to account for the changing demographics of the electorate and the fact that young voters, who are increasingly progressive, are becoming a more significant force in American politics.

The challenge here is twofold. On one hand, there is a valid concern that a push toward bold progressive reforms might alienate moderate voters, potentially jeopardizing the tightness of the race. On the other hand, the value of Gen Z voters and their vision for the future cannot be overstated. Gen Z voters, in particular, have grown increasingly frustrated with a political establishment that prioritizes stability over substantive change. Our generation has been shaped by the COVID-19 pandemic, a crisis that laid bare the systemic inequalities and failures of the status quo. Unlike millennials, who were defined by the economic instability of the Great Recession and often sought gradual change in political policies, Gen Z has witnessed the total collapse of societal norms and expectations. For us, the pandemic was not just a health crisis but also a stark reminder that the current system is fundamentally broken. This has fostered a sense of urgency — a demand for radical solutions that address the root causes of our problems, not just the symptoms. Harris’ candidacy offers a chance to break free from this pattern, but only if she is willing to reject the centrist formula that has been the party’s default for too long.

Over 40 million Gen Z voters will be eligible to vote in the 2024 election, including 8.3 million new voters since the 2022 midterms. This is a generation that rejects traditional party loyalties and is driven by specific policy concerns such as climate action, economic justice, healthcare and racial equity. Gen Z voters are not interested in political labels — they are interested in results and are increasingly aware that the moderate strategies of the past are not delivering the change they demand. These voters are vital to building a strong, enthusiastic base, and their support is essential for a successful campaign.

The Democratic Party’s alignment with corporate interests further alienates young voters. In the post-Citizens United era, when corporate money dominates American politics, Harris’ perceived coziness with big business raises red flags. Harris’ public stance has not mirrored the Biden administration’s efforts to rein in corporate power, especially in sectors like Big Tech, leading to concerns that her presidency would continue to favor the wealthy over the working class. This is a critical issue for Gen Z, which overwhelmingly supports policies that challenge corporate dominance and promote economic equality.

The potential backlash against a centrist Harris campaign is significant. Progressive donors, particularly those from Gen Z and millennial cohorts, are increasingly disillusioned with the Democratic Party’s corporate connections. These donors are the lifeblood of progressive campaigns, with 49% of Gen Z adults and 41% of millennials planning to donate, rates far higher than the 25% of baby boomers who said the same. If Harris continues down the centrist path, she risks losing not only donors’ financial support but also the enthusiasm and turnout of the young voters who could be the difference between victory and defeat this November.

Acknowledging the importance of moderate viewpoints is essential, but it must not overshadow the urgent need to address the aspirations of a rapidly evolving electorate. The Democratic Party’s future depends on embracing a progressive agenda that resonates with young voters. This shift is not about radicalism for its own sake but about responding to the profound challenges of our time with the necessary urgency and boldness. This means moving beyond incrementalism and rejecting the allure of corporate influence. The party should embrace grassroots activism driven by small-dollar donations and community engagement to build a coalition that genuinely reflects the needs and aspirations of ordinary Americans.

Harris must seize this moment, reject the failed strategies of the past and be the candidate who finally delivers on promises of a more just and equitable society. In the face of increasing radicalization within the Republican Party, Democrats must commit to a bold, progressive agenda that addresses the pressing issues of our time.

The path forward lies not in the middle ground but in a bold pursuit of a more just and equitable future. For Democrats, the challenge is clear: Resist the temptation of centrist accommodation and instead champion policies that reflect the transformative change needed to address the nation’s most pressing challenges.

Eliana Liporace (27C) is from Englewood Cliffs, N.J.